5 Restaurants in Baltimore You Need to Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

All around Baltimore lie caches of treasured restaurants for all the foodies of the city. From Fell’s Point to Mt. Vernon, Hampden to the Inner Harbor, here is a list of some food spots you just have to try:

1. Miss Shirley’s Café: Miss Shirley’s is an American brunch spot located in both Roland Park (which is close to Hampden) and the Inner Harbor. It has been hailed as the having the best breakfast in Baltimore! They serve breakfast, brunch, and lunch and are open from 7am-3pm on weekdays, and from 7:30-3:30 on weekends. They don’t take reservations, so be prepared for a 15-30-minute wait, depending on what day you go. Rest assured, the wait is definitely worth it!

Food: American breakfast & lunch fare

Price range: $$-$$$

2. The Food Market: This restaurant is a feed-store-turned-restaurant in Hampden. It is open from around 5-10pm on most days. Although it is yet another restaurants serving ‘American’ food, don’t be fooled- the meals are upscale, thanks to their award-winning chef, Chad Gauss. The earthy, modern atmosphere and the impeccable food presentation only adds to the experience.

Food: American dinner

Price range: $$$

3. Mt. Vernon Marketplace: This indoor market, located in Mount Vernon, has a number of different vendors inside, including a food court from the heavens. From noodles to oysters to smoothies to burgers, the marketplace has something for everyone. This is a great place to stop and eat if you are near Peabody, and also a great location to visit with a group of friends if you can’t decide on what type of food to eat. Some of the vendors here included Mr. Souvlaki, a popular Greek restaurant in Tarpon Springs, as well as Mi & Yu Noodle Bar, The Local Oyster, and AJ’s Deli.

Food: Varied

Price range: $$

4. R. House: This establishment describes itself as a “food hall” of ten stalls with different types of cuisine. Pizza, breakfast sandwiches, Korean BBQ- R. House has it all! Located on W 29th street, it is open from 8am-11pm on weekdays, 8am-midnight on weekends.

Food: Varied

Price range: $$

5. Ekiben: Ekiben is an Asian Fusion restaurant in Fells Point. They serve steamed buns, rice bowls and pho. Their fried tofu dish “Tofu Brah”, which can be served on a bun or as a bowl, is a vegetarian’s dream. Ekiben is open from 11am-10pm on most days, but is closed every day from 3:30-4:30 pm and all day on Sundays. 

Food: Asian Fusion

Price range: $

Baltimore has a lot to offer, especially by way of food. The above restaurants are just some of the delicious treasure troves I’ve found so far, there are plenty more around the city. Bon appétit!

Camille is a sophomore at Johns Hopkins. When she's not doing homework, playing club field hockey, eating, or going to spin at the Rec Center, she's probably online shopping. Her likes include fashion, food, and photography; her dislikes consist of cilantro, (involuntary) early mornings, and people who don't like animals.