Style

5 Easy, Last-Minute Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Halloween is fast approaching, and you might be too preoccupied by midterm season to think about what costume you’re gonna wear for the day of or for Halloweekend. Lucky for you, here are five easy, last-minute but still creative costumes that you can easily make in your dorm ten minutes before you have to head out for trick-or-treating or a spooky college party.

1. Blackmail

I dressed as Blackmail in the eighth grade for school on Halloween and it was a hit. All you have to do is wear all black and tape an envelope to the front of your outfit. I got a bit creative with it, and wore a black hoodie where I’d pull out a white envelope with strips of paper that had cut out magazine letters on them, like a true blackmail artist. Of course, that takes time, and you may not have the time and energy to cut out magazine letters for a fake threatening letter, so just having an envelope and a black outfit is perfectly fine.

2. Walk Sign

I gotta give credit to my roommate for this one. The idea is to wear all white and pose like the man on the walk sign at street crossings, with your arms out like you’re walking. If you wanna go all out, you could get white gloves and shoes and everything, or maybe even a white morph suit. But I’m sure just wearing all white and posing will get the message across. If you want to make it a group thing like all my suitemates were planning, you could have your friends be the orange hand for the don’t walk sign, traffic lights, and the crosswalk.

3. Sim Character

This one is as easy as walking out the door in the clothes you’re already wearing. All you have to add is cutting a diamond out of green construction paper, or regular copy paper and coloring it green. You can glue a popsicle stick onto the back to keep it upright and then glue the paper onto a headband to keep it on your head. Bonus points if you move like a Sim and speak gibberish all night.

4. Snapchat Ghost

A ghost is another easy costume because all you have to do is find a white sheet, cut two eye holes and pull it over your head. Unfortunately, it’s become a bit outdated and cliche. One way you can spice it up is by adding a yellow background behind your head, which could be as simple as a piece of yellow construction paper or a big yellow poster paper you tape to your back, making you the snapchat ghost. A fun way to make this a group costume is if your friends dress up as the popular Snapchat filters, like the dog filter or the baby filter. Another option is if your friends dress up as the delivered or opened symbols on Snapchat.

5. The Gray Dude from Run

This may be a bit beyond some people’s references, but remember that game Run on CoolMathGames.com that everyone played on their laptops during class when they didn’t want to do real work? Dressing up as the little blob from Run is as easy as putting on an all gray outfit and finding antennae to complete the look. If you want to make sure people really get the reference, you could get pieces of cardboard and paint them blue to pretend you’re running on it when people ask what you’re supposed to be.

I feel like when you google easy last minute costumes, all the ideas the Internet gives you are cliche or take too much time. I hope this list gave you some ideas for actually easy, low hassle costumes or even group costumes for a fun Halloween!