4 Reasons Why We All Should Be Rowing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

When it comes to getting in my cardio workout out at the gym, like most people I head straight to the treadmills or the elliptical machines. I know that either way I’m going to get a pretty good workout in while burning calories and toning up my leg muscles at the same time. There are plenty of options for cardio at the gym – stationary bikes, a Stairmaster, treadmills, elliptical machines, and stair steppers.  But wait, there’s more! Those weird looking machines over there in the corner? Yeah, those are called ergometers (or indoor rowers) and they are probably the best cardio machines I’ve ever used.
I don’t know what compelled me to give it a try, but I hopped on and boy was it hard! After only a few minutes my arms, legs, and abs were sore and I had to stop. The next day, I was sore (a good sore that lets me know I worked my butt off) in places I didn’t know you could get sore – and it was all thanks to this rower. I decided to do a little digging the next day and find out exactly what rowing is, the proper form and techniques, and just how awesome the benefits can be. The things I learned are interesting and might surprise you, so here are the fruits of my digging, and the 4 reasons why we all should be using the indoor rower:

1. It gets your heart rate way up there. Rowing is an aerobic exercise, so most of the time you’re working at about 80-90% of your heart rate. You’ll burn major calories while strengthening your heart!

2. It does great things for your muscles. There are four technical stages to one rowing “rep,” and they all utilize different sets of muscles. Unlike running, you work your: shoulders, triceps, biceps, forearms, glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps, calves, shin muscles, lats, traps, and so many others! When done with proper form, rowing is a total body workout with the added bonus of the calorie burn from the cardio.

3. It’s low impact. Usually when you think of low impact exercise, you probably think of walking, well think again! From all of the running on treadmills, my knees are slightly sensitive to the impact that’s made while I’m running or jogging. I’ve found that none of my joints are sore after a workout on the rower. Don’t be fooled, even though rowing is low impact it still can provide a phenomenal workout, and generate great results!

4. It’s easy to do, and anyone can do it. It only took me a few articles and YouTube videos to learn how to adjust the machine to my petite stature and the proper form of rowing. The rower was designed for people of all ages, and even for people who are unable to perform other types of exercise. [pagebreak]

Okay, sounds fantastic, but if you’re anything like me, you don’t like when people watch you try things. No need to worry, here are a few simple tips to get you started on your new total body indoor rowing workout!

1. Make sure to set the resistance dial to a low resistance – until you build up the strength to row at a higher resistance.

2. Put your feet into the footrests, making sure to adjust it so the strap goes right over the balls of your feet.

3. Grab the handle overhand, and extend your legs so you move backwards making sure to keep your arms and back straight.

4. Pull the handle into the upper part of your stomach bending your elbows.

5. To release, straighten your elbows towards the front of the machine as you slide forward by gradually bending your knees.

Tips:

• Keeping good posture is crucial to an effective workout.
  • Keep the resistance low until you can easily knock out a 20-30 minute workout.
  • Try doing an interval workout.
  • If your lower back is in pain, make sure that you are using your legs to push, and don’t jerk your back.