4 Netflix Shows to Get You Through the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

1. The Office

What it is: A mockumentary following the daily lives of the employees of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company’s Scranton branch, as led by Michael Scott, a whimsical—yet big-hearted—man-child of a boss.

Why you should be watching: This is my go-to for all hours of the day. Not only is the humor entertaining and fresh, the characters are so developed that you might suddenly find yourself falling for Jim Halpert. Michael Scott’s lighthearted antics will keep you smiling even on the worst days. If you like this show, you might also like Parks and Recreation.

2. Dawson’s Creek

What it is: A teen soap opera from the 90’s starring former teen heartthrob James Van Der Beek, as well as a young, uncomfortable-to-watch, Katie Holmes.

Why you should be watching: Pure drama. It’s the hormone-induced teen angst you’ve always wanted, but were always too embarrassed to ask for. Now, Netflix has it for you in the comfort (and discretion) of your own home! Really though, it’s a guilty pleasure that’s essentially pop culture history at this point. It’s more addicting educational than anything. Also, you’ll finally get to see the origins of the Dawson crying face GIF.

3. Scandal

What it is: Olivia Pope, otherwise known as the “fixer”, works as a government PR representative for classified, sensitive political cases. Every episode is filled with mystery, the strong female presence of Kerry Washington, and political intrigue as made accessible to those that have no background in political science (aka myself).

Why you should be watching: Everything you could want in a show (includes but not limited to: mystery, murder, romance, girl power, sex with the president). Warning: it is super exhilerating due to all the “scandalous” cliffhangers. Not to be watched before bed.

4. Freaks and Geeks

What it is: Pretty much what it sounds like. The show watches the older group of cool kids in a boring high school, as well as the freshmen. The freshmen are nerdier, and struggle with voice cracks and talking to girls, while the older kids face rebellion, school, and learning how to keep life interesting.

Why you should be watching: The all-star cast includes Seth Rogan, James Franco, Busy Phillips, Linda Cardellini, Jason Segal, and John Francis Daley. Also the geeky freshmen are absolutely hysterical. Did I mention young James Franco? I did? Did I mention he wears leather jackets? All true. A sure-fire way to improve your day.