4 Up-and-Coming Music Acts You Need to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

NZM

Who said heavy metal was dead? NZM is a fantastic metal group from South Florida. Lead singer and keyboardist Nick Marino has performed with KC and the Sunshine Band and Gloria Gaynour, and currently is the lead keyboardist and singer in metal legend Yngwie Malmsteen’s band. Their latest album, “Eternal Fire”, came out last year, featuring “War”, a power metal anthem that has almost 100,000 hits on YouTube. NZM is going on tour in November in Europe. Maybe they’ll come visit us in Baltimore sometime!

Official website

YouTube

iTunes

Facebook

JASON DEAN MOSHEN

Jason Dean Moshen is easily one of the most recognizable members of the South Florida metal community. Jason is multi-talented, extremely skilled at both guitar and bass. His powerful voice is what really draws in crowds, though. Just listen for yourself! If you’re looking for raw, pure talent, this is your guy. Jason has been in several bands since he started playing, and is currently in NZM and works with Antonio Malmsteen (son of Yngwie Malmsteen). He does studio work under Nick Marino as well. Jason also does solo work, writing original songs and performing guitar, bass, and vocals in his recordings. And don’t even get me started on the hair (seriously, Pantene should give this guy a huge sponsorship).

SoundCloud

YouTube (newer stuff) (older stuff)

Facebook

MANBEARPIMP/AUGGIE AULINZ

Sound familiar? If you go to Hopkins, it should! Augusto Ramirez, known by his stage names Auggie Aulinz and ManBearPimp, is a student here at Hopkins and is involved in a lot of organizations with his music. He specializes in EDM, specifically trap and house music. He DJs for the Office of Multicultural Affairs and the JHU Dance Marathon, as well as other on- and off-campus events. He’s also the host of WJHU’s “Turn Up Tuesdays” (which, ironically, is on every Friday at 6 pm). Finally, he’s certified at the DMC for recording, so make sure to hit him up if you need help! As far as reviews go, I highly recommend his Auggie Aulinz music if you need to chill out. These songs are cool and relaxed, perfect for winding down, studying, hanging out, etc. When you need to turn up though, ManBearPimp has you covered. This music is perfect for parties, so don’t be surprised if you hear some of his mixes at a frat! If you like trap music, ManBearPimp is the way to go.

SoundCloud

Twitter

YouTube

Tumblr

Facebook

C-NOTE

Caleb Armstrong is a rapper and singer from Michigan who goes by the stage name C-Note. His music is an eclectic mix of rap and pop, with a bit of R&B sprinkled in. He’s worked with Pro Sound Recordings, and is currently working with BMF Entertainment and looking to tour soon. He’s collaborated with a bunch of other up-and-coming rappers, so make sure to check out his SoundCloud. He’s just starting out, but he’s moving into the Baltimore area soon so I’m confident we’ll be seeing a lot more of him in the coming months.

SoundCloud

YouTube

Facebook

I'm a sophomore at Johns Hopkins University studying Molecular and Cellular Biology. I love video games and beauty, and I write about things like makeup and fashion for Her Campus.