10 Must-Have Fall Sweaters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Complete with crunching leaves and pumpkin spice lattes, fall has finally made its appearance.  This means it is time to break out your fall fashions, and my favorite go-to pieces: sweaters. The essential staple is the college girl’s best friend and with so many different ways to wear them, you never feel stuck in a boring fashion routine. Here are some of my favorite sweater styles for this fall!

1.      Leopard Print

Nothing says fun and flirty quite like leopard print, but most times this style is reserved for weekends out and not so much for those 9 a.m. classes. These vibrant printed sweaters transition this adventurous style into comfortable daytime  wear. On their own, these definite standout pieces can be worn with just a simple pair of jeans. But when mixed with other patterns, like stripes or leather, leopard print sweaters can definitely take on an edgy or whimsical style.

2.      Cropped

While crop tops may seem more at home at a frat party, cropped sweaters are a versatile wardrobe staple. Paired with high waisted jeans, a circle skirt or thrown over a plain tank dress, they instantly transition many of your summery pieces into cute fall outfits.

3.      Oversized/ Boyfriend

The only rule when it comes to oversized sweaters is that you can absolutely never have enough of them. Purposefully baggy, they are great for those days when the thought of trying to dress up is unfathomable. Oversized sweaters are extremely comfortable for lounging around but they can easily look polished when paired with a colorful scarf, leggings and riding boots.

4.      Fisherman

Usually when someone hears about this type of sweater they picture an old Irish man wearing one (or is that just me?), but the revival of these classic sweaters is extremely youthful and fun. The usually creamy color looks great on every skin tone, and with bright statement jewelry, the sweater acts as a blank canvas to work with. It can also be paired with minimal accessories as the namesake texture of this piece makes it eye catching on its own. Its easy to be playful with such a classic piece and its versatility makes it a must have.

5.      Striped

While some may save stripes for the summertime, stripes are versatile enough to be worn all year round. Thin stripes, block stripes, wavy stripes—the variety of ways you can wear this piece is endless. Depending on your style, stripes can either make your outfit fun and youthful or classic and sophisticated. This nautical style is also one of my favorites; a blue and white striped sweater with a bold red lip and skinny jeans is a perfect combination. Eye-catching striped sweaters are easy stand-alone pieces that make them  perfect last-minute grabs before class.

6.     Fuzzy

Recently, I have seen so many of these fuzzy styled sweaters in stores. Usually made with angora or mohair, these sweaters are extremely warm. They can either be simple (if worn with jeans for a casual look), or be a bit more bold (if worn over a bodycon dress and combat boots). A piece that can be transitioned from day to night, it guarantees to keep you both stylish and warm when the temperature starts to drop.

7.     Studded Sweaters

This trend makes a what would be boring sweater, edgier and more fun without being too wild. Too much embellishment can be overwhelming and look slightly like a disco ball, which makes this style perfect as a few studs are all that’s needed to take a simple sweater to the next level. Also it is easy to DIY this style with a simple crew neck sweater and with some of your own studs.

8.      Drapey Cardigans

This style of cardigan makes the bohemian style a bit more wearable for everyday college life. Paired with leggings and simple tank top it is a classic but sophisticated ensemble. It can also be paired with a flowy tank dress and a skinny belt for a dressier autumn outfit.

9.      Color-blocked

This trend makes sweaters look like they belong in the MoMA due to their aesthetically pleasing presentation. When it comes to color blocked, the brighter the better as this style is meant to catch everyone’s eye and by keeping accessories simple and muted, you can make your sweater really pop.

10.  Cutout Sweaters

Although not the most practical style for those cold fall days, it is definitely a worthy piece to pick up. It shows just a little skin without being too overwhelming, making it the perfect piece to transition from day to night. Paired with patterned jeans for the day or tucked into a leather skirt at night, this trend is just the right amount of edgy.

Those winter days are fast approaching and now is the time to cozy up with some of these must-have sweater trends!