Style > Beauty

10 Favorite Non-Drugstore Beauty Products Pt. 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Hi everyone! This week, what with the holidays coming up and finals looming over our heads, I thought I could recommend some non-drugstore products for gift recommendations/treat yo self splurges. Nothing puts you in the spirit of giving like whipping out that card for some Sephora goodies. Failing your finals is okay, because you will look fabulous doing it. Plus, all that concealer will hide the fact you’re getting an average of 10 hours of sleep … per week. So here are the first 5 of some of my favorite products! More to come next week!

1. Tartelette in Bloom Clay Eyeshadow Palette ($45.00): This is probably my favorite eyeshadow of all time. Its so great because it has a range of warm tones from light to dark that make it a great palette for day or night. There are some really pretty metallic as well as matte colors that blend out so easily. This palette is great for anyone getting started out with makeup as it is super easy to use and can be used to make lots of different kinds of looks. Also it smells so good and makes me feel things.
  2. Benefit Gimme Brow ($24.00): This has been my long time favorite brow product. It’s great if you don’t have the #bold brows but don’t want to pencil a whole new set of eyebrows on. You just swipe it over your brows almost like a mascara and the colored gel thickens them up the perfect amount. Perfect for everyday!
  3. Beautyblender ($20.00): Not gonna lie, this product changes lives. Okay, probably an overstatement but it certainly has made applying makeup a piece of cake. Soak it in water and squeeze it out until its damp and it is a perfect applicator and blending tool. I use it to blend in my concealer and liquid foundation. You can also use it to blend out basically any cream products and even apply powders to set things down. Yes, its $20 but its so worth it. Easy to clean too, just use any gentle soap!
  4. NARS Velvet Lip Glide ($26.00): This is one of my new favorite lip products from NARS, which has great lipsticks in general. It applies with a liquid formula but is extremely comfortable and doesn’t dry down like other liquid lipsticks. Because its not totally dry it does transfer and isn’t as long wearing but I don’t mind since it still has a slight matte finish, is hydrating and the color fades nicely without looking crumbly at all. My favorite color is Bound. AND Sephora is selling a mini set ($45 for a 104$ value) here.
  5. Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder ($23-38.00): This product is so hyped that I finally had to try it. Thankfully it comes in a smaller size since it is rather pricey. But so far I have definitely loved it as a great loose setting powder. I use it to set my concealer and liquid foundation and to bake. My girl Laura definitely knows what’s up.