coronavirus medical gear
coronavirus medical gear
Her Campus Media

Working During Covid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

At the end of 2019, in the pre-COVID era, I began working at Temple Hospital as a Hearing Screener. Every day, I would drive to Temple, go up to the maternity floor, wash my hands and get started on my work for the day. When I would go into the rooms, they would be filled with excited family members, joyful new mothers, and the cutest newborn babies. At the time the only personal protection equipment I would use were medical gloves that I would change after each baby I would screen. Fast forward to quarantine; my job began to change drastically. Every day, I would walk into the hospital only to be met with a long line of people waiting to get their temperature taken, after that I would be given a new mask and head upstairs. When I would get upstairs, I would wash my hands, put a face shield on, and change my gloves before entering each room. The rooms were different too; instead of excited family members, the new moms would be limited to only one guest for the duration of their stay at the hospital. Also, in the NICU I would have to wear all of the personal protection equipment as in the other rooms, plus a surgical gown. Like the rules in the rest of the rooms, visitors in the NICU were limited to one parent at a time, one guest a day, for the duration of the baby’s treatment plan.

In March, I flew to Atlanta to visit my family. Prior to my return to work I had to get a COVID test, I was nervous to see how the test would actually feel. I was sent to a hospital and directed to an outdoor testing site where they were administering the test. The doctor came out and after asking me a few questions about my history and possible symptoms, she had me stick my head out of my window and tilt it all the way back. She then stuck a long q-tip up my nose so far, I thought she was going to pull my brain out… yuck! It was unpleasant to say the least, but lucky for me it was negative. I was able to return to work as normal and I continued working all throughout quarantine and the remainder of the school year. Saying I got to work during this time period is something that I will never forget because of how different my work environment was compared to usual and compared to so many others. I was also very grateful to have a job at all during this time when so many others were unable to work. Thank you to all of our healthcare and frontline workers!

Destiny is a Freshman at Jefferson and the Event Director of the Jefferson chapter of Her Campus. She is a Pre-Physician's Assistant student and also a member of the cheerleading team at TJU. In high school she was founder and treasurer of her high school's NAMI club and took part in many suicide and mental health awareness events and walks. She hopes to bring her activism to campus and voice it in her writing. In her spare time you can find her serving tables or babysitting, reading a good book, or traveling whenever she gets the chance!