Why Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band is the Best Beatles Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Since reading a book for a competition in middle school, I have been a fan of all things Beatles. No matter how much my music taste has changed in the eight years since, there is one opinion that always remains the same: Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band is my favorite album ever. 

Perhaps my personal love for the album is fueled by nostalgia, but its popularity and importance has not gone unnoticed by the rest of the world as well. Sgt. Pepper is regarded as one of the most influential rock albums created and in 2018, was named the U.K.’s favorite album of all time! It was the first Beatles album to be released in the United States and the United Kingdom at the same time, allowing the band to gain more success than before. After their two previously released singles stalled at number 2 on the charts, Sgt. Pepper shot them back up to number 1. The Beatles used this album to push the limits of their music as far as they could in terms of production, technique, and more, and without a doubt, had truly interesting, exciting results. 

As a designer myself, I cannot go without mentioning the iconic cover art for the album. The cover, with its collage of celebrities, is recognized around the world and the brightly colored army uniforms the band is pictured in have become a signature of the Beatles during that era. The husband and wife duo who created the art, Peter Blake and Jann Haworth, were British pop artists and treated the work as a piece of art rather than a design that had to serve a purpose, giving the cover a modern art feel.  Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band features 13 songs that take the listener through a wide range of emotions, from happy and energetic to sad and lonely. Each of the songs also tells a unique narrative, and getting to experience all of these mini-stories is something unique that I really enjoy about this album. It is certainly a great showcase of the Beatles’ creativity, with classic hit “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” as well as other psychedelic tunes, such as “Within You Without You.” My own favorite song, “Lovely Rita,” is on this album as well!

If you haven’t heard Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band yet, you should definitely go give it a listen. If you heard the album already, go give it another listen!

Emma Prushan

Jefferson '25

Emma is a junior at Jefferson studying Visual Communication Design/Graphic Design. She serves as Senior Editor, Events Coordinator, and Graphic Designer of HerCampus Jefferson. In her free time, she enjoys reading, doing crafts, playing the guitar, and taking any opportunities to be creative!