What It’s Like to Have an Older Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

My younger brother was born in 2004, making me the eldest sibling and the responsible sister my mother intended for me to be. Whether it be helping out around the house, cancelling my plans with friends to babysit, and as I got older, picking him up after school and soccer practice there were always duties I was held accountable for. While being the eldest has its perks, I yearned for an older sibling to guide me, provide me with advice when making difficult decisions and  someone to rely on unconditionally to be me person.

As I grew older, my mothers’ family expanded, and into my life came my three younger cousins. Unintentionally and somewhat deliberately, I had been assigned the ‘role-model’ figure. Whether it be displayed through my academics, school plays, or even community service participation, I found myself enjoying the activities I was participating in, and it reflected in my family.

Being the eldest is fun, because you get to watch your family get along and explore new hobbies and interests and supportthem unconditionally. However, it wasn’t until I got to college that I realized this role I had been fulfilling was taken over by the second eldest cousin back at home. I now had to fulfill my own personal goals, and I was nervous to embark on the journey alone.

During the spring semester of my first year at university, I joined Theta Phi Alpha. The concept of sisterhood was foreign to me, and I was eager to become part of a community in which a sister would always have my back. Whether it be academic or emotional support, the concept of having a ‘big sister’ was refreshing and comforting to me.

On February 22nd 2018, my sorority’s big & little reveal ceremony was an anticipated event all week long. Sunday night, I got a social media follow request on Instagram from the account “Emily’s Big!.” From Monday until Wednesday, anonymous pictures were posted with motivational sayings from our big, the identity of whom I did not yet know and was surprised each day with a gift. It was so heartwarming and exciting to know someone in my sorority was thinking about me and looking out for me despite the mystery behind their identity. My big took the time to individually select gifts for me, to which I am eternally grateful and will never forget!

On the big and little reveal day, all of the new members were lined up on stage and given a balloon with their name written on the front, along with a push pin. Once the balloon popped, a slip of paper flew out with the name of my big! I was ecstatic to have Sophia as my big, someone who from during the recruitment process I felt comfortable talking to and admired because of her caring personality. To my surprise, I found out I was a twin to another new member, Alaina.

Whether it be my twin, my big, or my “g-big”, I now have three sisters I can turn to in times of need. I adore my sorority and Greek Life has provided me with the big sister figure I yearned for when I was younger.

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis