What it’s Like Being in a Super Small Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

My major, called textile materials technology, is one of the most unique and smallest programs on my campus. I love what I am studying, but there are times that being part of such a small major is frustrating. I often have classes with only grad students, older students, or people from only other majors. Anyone in a small program can attest to the fact there are positives and negatives. Here, I explore some of the pros and cons, and how I deal with being in a small program.

Cons:

You don’t have many other people to talk to about assignments or even interests surrounding your area of study

You constantly have to explain your major to people who don’t know what it is or those that don’t know it exists on your campus

Other programs get more resources, attention, and money from the university

You have to learn how to advocate for yourself and your major, as there isn’t anyone to do it otherwise

Pro:

Small class sizes allow you to really learn and improve your skills

You get to form personal relationships with your professors over the course of a few years

These professors can help you to find internships and jobs that are suited well to you

Since the program is small, you often can make it individualized and specific to your interests

You get to learn what you love, which is usually a pretty unique subject for those in a small major/program.

There are times that being in a small major can be super frustrating but there are some things that have made it easier. The biggest thing for me has been getting involved with groups that are related to my interests. The textile fraternity on campus has been a great way for me to not only connect to people studying what I am but also people with different majors who still have a genuine interest in similar things. Being able to hear from industry professionals and make connections outside of the university, as well as inside, have provided me a strong educational support system. Some of the challenges have made me a stronger young professional and person in general. I have learned how to articulate what I study and what I hope to do in the future, as well as how to assert the importance of my area of study.

I could not be happier with my choice of program or school. I have found so many opportunities here and am truly glad to have had great experiences here. Being in a small program has its ups and downs just like anything else but it offers a fun and unique form of the college experience.

I am a first-year student at Jefferson University studying Textile Materials Technology. I am originally from a suburb of Chicago, Illinois and now study in Philadelphia. At school, I am on the cross country and track teams, and I sing in the school's choir. I love going thrift shopping, reading, finding cool concerts to go to, and activism!