This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Feeling burnt out and could use some new entertainment to binge? Look no further than some of my personal TV show recommendations. All of these shows are criminally underrated, and offer light-hearted moments that get you hooked. No slow-burn, just laughs.

Portlandia

This is one of my all-time favorite shows that I watch over and over again. You may know Fred Armisen as a former SNL cast member, but he stars in this sketch show as a duo with Carrie Brownstein. There are a variety of different characters that they routinely play in the city of Portland, Oregon. Not only that, but the one set of characters in which they portray an exaggerated version of themselves is friends with the mayor, played by Kyle Machlaclan from Twin Peaks. So many classic skits follow from this show, like the “Women and Women First Bookstore” sketches, and my other favorite set of characters they play is a gender-bending couple, Nina and Lance. In my opinion, this show is very underrated. Watch on Netflix.

Broad City

Broad City is my ultimate comfort show. It chronicles the shenanigans that happen between two Jewish-American best friends living in New York, Abby and Ilana. These characters ooze personality, so much so that you wish they were your real friends. The twisted plotlines always make me laugh, and every character they introduce is truly complex and gives their own unique comic relief. Best of all, Abby and Ilana represent an authentic friendship that is relatable, and it’s because they also write these episodes from the heart and their bond in real life. Highly recommend it. Watch on Hulu.

Flight of the Conchords

Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie star in this HBO show as caricatures of themselves. Two men from New Zealand are trying to make it as a band (Flight of the Conchords) in New York. Their comedic music is intertwined with the plot, and you can’t help but fall in love with their quirks as they navigate their lives as roommates, and trying to set up gigs with their manager Murray. Watch on HBO Max.

Nathan For You

Nathan Fielder stars in this parody show, where he asserts his education in business to help struggling businesses get back up on their feet. Each episode follows a few businesses that he helps with his own delirious designs. For instance, trying to attract customers at a frozen yogurt shop by selling “poo” flavored ice cream, or attempting to bring in more clients for a realtor by rebranding them as a “ghost realtor” who sells haunted houses. Truly, this show never fails to shock me with Nathan’s ridiculous suggestions, and his deadpan delivery makes it all worth it. Watch on Hulu.

Documentary Now

This is yet another series that derives from the genius of Fred Armisen, and also another SNL alum, Bill Hader. This is an anthology mockumentary series, where the duo plays various obscure characters, many of which pay homage to real documentaries. Some of my favorite episodes are the “Gentle and Soft: The Story of Blue Jean Committee,” and “Juan Likes Rice and Chicken.” Watch on Netflix.

Ramy

Yet another series with impressively dynamic characters, Ramy is a binge worthy show that lends its focus on its title character, Ramy. Born into a Muslim-Arab family, he constantly is fighting this moral narrative of adhering to Islam, and submitting to the secular nature of modern society. Each family member has their own story to tell, equally interesting and comedic. Ramy’s relationship with his Sheik, played by Mahershala Ali, is also especially engrossing. Watch on Hulu.

High Fidelity

This Hulu series starring Zoe Kravitz, inspired by the film of the same name starring John Cusack, focuses on lovesick protagonist Rob. She’s an owner of a record store who goes through a journey of self-discovery when breaking up with her boyfriend Russell. She lists her top 5 heartbreaks through this journey, reuniting with her past lovers to find out why she is “doomed to be left alone.” Zoe adds such a charming spirit to this reimagined character, and she proves herself to be a style icon with every look in this show. Not to mention, the show has an amazing soundtrack.

Ali Friedberg

Jefferson '23

I'm Ali and I'm a psychology/occupational therapy student. Lover of cheesecake, old music, and self care?