Life > Experiences

Valentine’s Day But For The Guys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

There is a trend going on right now about how if your man hasn’t asked you to be his Valentine yet he isn’t in love with you and you should call it quits. Of course, this is a viral joke. However, it did influence me. I’ve been with my partner for about 4 years and this trend made me want chocolates and flowers; the whole 9 yards just to be asked to be his Valentine. While I still think and know I deserve that experience, it also made me think about his experience. Valentine’s Day, for me, is an opportunity to outwardly express your love, admiration, and gratitude for your partner. This is not a one-way street and I like the idea of also giving the men in my life an experience that makes them feel swept off their feet. There are many different types of relationships between many different types of individuals. However, as it pertains to my relationship, I specifically note the traditional gendered Valentine’s Day; ergo the man doing romantic things for the woman.  While I still expect a Valentine’s proposal, I also created my own. I purchased a Valentine’s balloon and made one of his favorite desserts, chocolate souffle. It was a small surprise but it really made him feel special. 

Here are a couple of other proposal ideas that might be cute for your partner: 

Tables have Turned: 

Get a vase of flowers and his favorite candy or snack. Anyone can receive flowers and I think it is an endearing sentiment to make your person feel seen and loved. 

Surprise Date: 

Set aside a time to take your partner on a date when they don’t expect it! This can be executed in a couple of different ways. You can divulge as little or as much about the date as you want to make it fit into both of your schedules. 

Discovery Their Hobby:

Differences are what make people human. Personally, my partner enjoys gaming while I just don’t take to it as much. However, he does tell me often that he would love it if I got into one of his games. Personally, I don’t see that aligning with how I like to spend my time. However, taking a night to place yourself in one of your partner’s hobbies is a beautiful gesture of your love and appreciation. 

Mari Adamson

Jefferson '24

Mari is a 4th year at Jefferson University, majoring in health sciences and enrolled in the Pre-Physician's Assistant Program with a minor in Law. In her spare time she enjoys hiking and finding new places to eat. She also has a passion for photography and self-care!