Trying the Whipped Coffee Trend as a Non-Coffee Drinker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Whipped coffee was a huge trend last year during quarantine and has since become one of the most popular TikTok food trends. I’m not a huge fan of coffee (I’m more of a tea drinker), so I never tried this trend. Recently, I wanted to try something new other than my usual chocolate milk or green tea in the morning, so I decided to hop on the trend (just a year late) and make whipped coffee. Going into this, I was unsure if I would like it because I don’t like the taste of coffee. Which is weird because growing up I would drink coffee all the time and I loved it. But now the taste of coffee makes me feel sick because of the bitterness.

Looking at the recipe, it was pretty simple: just instant coffee, sugar, and water. In the YouTube video that I was watching, the woman whipped everything up with a whisk, so I did the same. After 20 minutes of not much happening and my hand cramping, I decided using a whisk was not the right idea. I then brought out my electric mixer and whipped the ingredients in just a few minutes. I’d seen others trying the coffee mixture alone, so I did the same…. Spoiler alert: I didn’t like it. The coffee taste was just too strong, and it had this bitter taste that reminded me of cough medicine. This is when I realized that if I don’t like coffee then I probably won’t like whipped coffee, but I kept on going.

I wanted my whipped coffee to look aesthetically pleasing, so I brought out a small glass cup from my parent’s china cabinet that we don’t use a lot. I poured my warm lactose-free milk into my glass and topped it off with my coffee mixture. I stirred up the drink and took a sip and…. it was good! I actually liked it! It had the perfect ratio of coffee to sugar to milk. I liked it so much that I had whipped coffee for breakfast the next couple of days! I get why everyone was so into this trend! Even if you don’t like coffee, I think you should at least try it because you might be surprised. You might find your new favorite drink. I know that if I ever want coffee it has to be in the form of whipped coffee :)

Riya Roy

Jefferson '24

Hi! I'm Riya, a Senior Pre-Med major at Jefferson! I'm from Northeast Philly and I've lived there my whole life. I enjoy reading, art, baking and binge watching Netflix! This year, I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Jefferson and I'm so excited!! Hope you enjoy my articles :)