This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Movies are a universal language. Something that everyone can participate in and experience no matter the cultural or language barrier. Often, movies provide entertainment that allows people to move away from their own life and focus on something else. Below I have organized a list of movies releasing in 2023 that will make any and all movie buffs happy to spend their day at the movie theater. As a movie buff myself, I can’t wait to enjoy the myriad of movies that are on display this year.

1. Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantum Mania – Opening on February 17th. Starring: Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Jonathan Majors, Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Bill Murray. This is the third movie of the franchise and part of Marvel Cinematic Universe’s phase five. In this movie, Scott Lang and his group will journey into the Quantum Realm and undertake a new adventure. Definitely, a movie to watch for all the marvel fans waiting to see where the MCU will go next.
  2. Creed III – Opening on March 3rd. Starring: Michael B. Jordan, Tessa Thompson, Jonathan majors, Phylicia Rashad. This is the ninth installment of the Rocky franchise and the third movie on the spin-off following Adonis Creed, the son of Apollo Creed who was the former rival of Rocky Balboa. This movie focuses on how Creed deals with his new success when faced with a ghost of his past who is striving to take his fame, glory, and wealth in the ring. A great movie to watch for Rocky lovers as well as fans of Michael B. Jordan.
  3. Scream VI – Opening on March 10th. Starring: Melissa Barrera, Mason Gooding, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Jenna Ortega, Courtney Cox, and Hayden Panettiere. The Scream franchise is part of a cultural phenomenon transforming the horror genre onto a new path. This sixth installment follows the survivors of the last movies as they move to New York City and find themselves face-to-face with the Ghostface Killer again. This is a movie to watch for all of the horror fans out there.
  4. The Super Mario Bros. Movie – Opening on April 7th. Starring: Chris Pratt, Jack Black, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Charlie Day. This movie depicts Mario and Luigi’s adventure through the Mushroom Kingdom with Bowser as this wonderful world is brought to life on screen. A movie that can be enjoyed both with kids and adults.
  5. Fast X – Opening on May 19th. Starring: Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Sung Kang, Ludacris, Nathalie Emmanuel. This is the tenth movie of the Fast & Furious franchise and is believed to be part one of the two-part final of the series. The movie will showcase Dominic Torreto and the gang as they face a new challenge but the majority of the plot is under wraps. A movie that will be loved by all of the fans of the Fast & Furious franchise.
  6. The Little Mermaid – Opening on May 26th. Starring: Halle Bailey, Jacob Tremblay, Awkwafina, Daveed Diggs, Jonah Hauer-King, Javier Bardem, and Melissa McCarthy. The story is based on the classic: The Little Mermaid, following Ariel’s adventure as she, a mermaid, falls in love with a human. A movie to be enjoyed by all of those who are loving live-action remakes of classic Disney movies. 
  7. Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny – Opening on June 30th. Starring: Harrison Ford, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Antonio Banderas, John Rhys-Davies. The movie is set in 1969 as Indiana Jones faces a former Nazi working at NASA with hidden ulterior motives. The plot is greatly hidden but it is said to be exciting and intriguing. The Indiana Jones franchise is legendary and has a long-standing legacy so fans should be excited to see the newest installment.
  8. Oppenheimer – Opening on July 21st. Starring: Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Benny Safdie, Robert Downey Jr, Matt Damon, Josh Hartnett, Rami Malek, Florence Pugh, and Kenneth Branagh. The movie is a true story based on physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer, the man responsible for the creation of nuclear weapons also known as the “father of the atomic bomb”. This movie is a must-watch for people wanting to learn more about this person who was able to change history forever.
  9. Dune: Part 2 – Opening on November 3rd. Starring: Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård. This movie is part two of Dune and follows the second half of Frank Herbert’s novel, Dune as the story moves forward with Paul Atreides’s introduction and joining of the Fremen tribe. The movie is a must-watch for those who watched part one and for any epic science film lovers.
  10. Aquaman and the Last Kingdom – Opening on December 25th. Starring: Jason Mamoa, Willem Dafoe, Patrick Wilson, Amber Heard, Dolph Lundgren, Nicole Kidman, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and Temuera Morrison. The movie is said to be about Aquaman making a tense alliance with a dubious ally as a method to save both Atlantis and the world. Not many details of the movie have been shared but it will be interesting to see where the world of Atlantis and the life of Aquaman goes from the last movie. A movie to watch for all DC fans as they await the new direction of DC studios.

All of the movies mentioned above are a fraction of the numerous movies that are coming out this year and waiting to be watched by audiences. Movies are a way to connect with people, create new experiences, as well as share a love of stories. I hope these movies in this new year of 2023 bring new conversations, ideas, and memories into existence.

Vrunda Raj

Jefferson '27

A writer who hopes to inspire and inform people with her words and thoughts. I enjoy writing about food, current world events, research topics and a multitude of other subjects.