Tips and Tricks for Incoming Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

There are plenty of reasons as to why you may have chosen PhilaU to be your home for the next four years. It could have been because of the small size, the variety great programs for your chosen major, or simply because it’s close to home. Whatever your reason, you’re here now and I’m going to offer up some tips to help make sure you get the most out of your PhilaU experience!

1.      Get involved! This is the number one way to make friends at any school. PhilaU has a variety of clubs and activities from Ultimate Frisbee to yours truly, Her Campus. We’re always looking for new people to join our team! (For a list of clubs and organizations on campus, visit the Student Engagement website)

2.      Utilize campus resources. There’s a number of great tutoring services if you ever feel like you are struggling in class, and your professors are always there to help you. (For more info on tutoring services, check out the website for the Academic Success Center). Gutman library also has tons of great books, articles and journal entries that can help with any class. For fashion students, the library’s website has a virtual copy of every issue of Vogue ever made, which can come in handy for future projects. (Take a look at the Gutman Library website)

3.      Don’t buy your textbooks from the bookstore. The bookstore is convenient if you need a book for the next day, but if you buy or rent your books early from either chegg.com or Amazon, you’ll most likely save a ton of money.

4.      Use your student discount. As a college student, you’re eligible for a ton of discounts at a variety of different places. Unidays.com is a great website that gives a full list of places that offer student discounts, and don’t forget Amazon Prime is free for six months if you provide a current student e-mail.

5.      Be open-minded. PhilaU has some of the most interesting people you will ever meet. Go out of your comfort zone and get to know people outside of your major. Who knows, that biology major in your finite math class could end up becoming a lifelong friend.

There are tons more little tips and tricks I wish I knew as an incoming freshman, but these are a few that I feel are the most important. As time goes on, you’ll be sure to learn more PhilaU hacks that will make your first year of college run even smoother, but for now, good luck and have a great first semester!

Carly Brisach is a 2nd year Fashion Design major at PhilaU. She is also an animal lover, fashion blogger and self-proclaimed SNL enthusiast. Aside from writing for Her Campus, she enjoys knitting, crocheting and weaving. Check out her Etsy shop Handmade96!