element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Tips and Tricks for Handling Not-So-Easy Conversations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

We’ve all been there, ready to leave a life suck of a job, quit a sports team or activity that you’re no longer happy with, or even addressing a messy situation with a boyfriend or girlfriend. In each friend group there’s always at least one person who isn’t afraid to jump right into theres conversations “guns a blazin’” without fear of what the persons response might be. I’m here to touch on a few tips on how to make that conversation run a little more smooth.

Always be straight forward.

If you want to see a change in one of the above situations or any others you can master up on your own, you need to be honest with what it is that you need/want. A person or situation can’t and won’t change if they aren’t made aware of what they are doing is wrong, or that there even is a problem at all. If your significant other is doing something that you don’t like but you never tell them straight up, how do you expect them to be different going forward. Mean what you say and say what you mean.

Be respectful. Always.

The person or establishment you are dealing with is already someone you’ve most likely built a relationship with or else you wouldn’t be worried about how to handle this conversation in the first place. If you’re quitting a job, you wouldn’t want to ruin your chances of them not being able to give you a reference, or ever giving you a shot at working again. Similarly, if you’re leaving a team or activity, it is important you remain in good standing with the coach or director of the program if you’d ever like to come back. Things like these aren’t able to happen if you don’t have respect when you’re addressing the situation.

Take emotion out of it.

This is a serious conversation you don’t want to let your anger or frustration get the best of you. This shouldn’t turn into a cry fest or a screaming match. Going in with an attitude will set the tone for a conversation that is bound to end in a fight causing more problems instead of resolving the issue. You should act with dignity and keep your composure, so someone will take you serious and want to help you or understand where you’re coming from.

There will be situations where no matter how calm and collected you are, the other person will still act out or against what you’re aiming for. Always TRY to be the bigger person because it will work out in your favor more times than not taking that road. Oh and one last thing, if this is an over text or email conversation, ALWAYS PROOF READ. Thank you.

Destiny is a Freshman at Jefferson and the Event Director of the Jefferson chapter of Her Campus. She is a Pre-Physician's Assistant student and also a member of the cheerleading team at TJU. In high school she was founder and treasurer of her high school's NAMI club and took part in many suicide and mental health awareness events and walks. She hopes to bring her activism to campus and voice it in her writing. In her spare time you can find her serving tables or babysitting, reading a good book, or traveling whenever she gets the chance!