Style

Thrift Shopping is Popping!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

There was a long period of time in my life and in my style when I thought shopping at the mall was the only way to buy clothes. Luckily, my friends introduced me to the wonderful world of thrift stores and going through my mom’s closet. Since delving into vintage and recycled clothes, my style escalated to a whole new level and I’ve been able to experiment way more. Being able to mix clothes from different time periods has been a really cool way to express my wacky sense of style. My current favorite look is mixing men’s disco shirts with high waisted shorts, it’s the perfect way to make something super tacky, super cool.

As well as elevating your style, thrift shopping is also really good for your bank account! It is so easy to find high end brands at the fraction of the price, if you look in the right places. Places like Plato’s Closet and The Salvation Army are awesome places to find Urban Outfitters, Brandy Melville, and Levi’s jeans for as low as $3! Finding thrift stores in your area is also super easy, there are Salvation Army’s everywhere and Plato’s Closet is pretty popular in the PA/NJ area. Buffalo Exchange is a great shop if you live in a big city. For you local Philly people, Philly Aids Thrift is an absolute gem. Don’t be afraid to go into messy looking shops and dig through boxes! My favorite thrift store from back home is just a warehouse filled with cardboard boxes and I’ve found some amazing pieces of clothing there. My friends and I have turned into thrift shopping masters and have created some great looks. Go out and make your own!

Sam Miller

Jefferson '21

Hi! I'm Sam, I'm a fashion design major, my favorite color is purple and I love to sew, dance, and go on Pinterest.