The Ultimate Guide to Longer & Healthier Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

I’ve put my hair through a lot of damage from years of heat, bleach, and (for a very short period that I’m not proud of) Sun-in. And in that time, I’ve lost a lot of length. So, for the past few months, I’ve been really focusing on trying to get my hair long and healthy again. Maybe you also have damage, maybe you’re trying to grow out a bad haircut before summer, or maybe you just want to overall improve the health of your hair. Whatever it is, here are some of my favorite hair tips anyone can use!

Scalp Oiling

Scalp oiling is an ancient method that originated in India, and to this day, many people swear by it for hair growth and overall scalp health.

– Warm up some oil (I use black castor oil), massage it into the scalp in circular motions, and leave it in for up to a few hours.

– Be sure to wash the hair thoroughly, and do this up to twice a week.

– **While the oil’s in, be careful not to brush your hair or pull it back tight because your scalp is in a fragile state**

Clarify Your Scalp

– To prevent clogged pores, it’s great to use a clarifying shampoo once or twice a month. This removes any buildup of dirt or products. – Shea Moisture has a great Clarifying Shampoo

Oil Your Ends

Oftentimes the issue is that the hair grows just fine, but it breaks off at the ends. and stays short. So, it’s super important that you keep your ends nourished!

– Oil is great for all parts of your hair! Applying oil to your ends is one of the best ways to keep them nice and healthy! My favorite ones for this are jojoba or argan oil, but any kind is great!

Protein-Rich Treatments

– I like to use protein treatments on my hair to help strengthen and restore it. There are many ways you can add protein into your hair regime:

○ Olaplex #3 is an awesome bond-builder. I recently started using it and I know it’s a bit pricey but I think it’s a real game changer!

○ Rice water is another great option – and you can easily make it yourself!

○ There are plenty of other protein treatments and masks out there with wonderful ingredients. Shop around, look at some recipes, and see what works best for your hair, lifestyle, and price range.

*I try not to use protein treatments more than 2-3 times a month because too much protein can actually be damaging to the hair*

Brush Gently!

– I used to be so rough with my hair. I would absolutely rip through it with my brush, and I didn’t even realize how harmful it was.

– If you have straight hair, try to only brush it dry as it is more fragile when wet.

– If your hair is curly, you can brush it wet with lots of conditioner!

○ My hair is curly and personally, I like to detangle it with my fingers and a bit of oil before I get in the shower.

○ I try not to brush it at all in between washes. – If you’re looking for a new brush, I recommend Tangle Teezer – It’s very gentle and there’s one for every hair type.

Deep Condition

This is a huge one, especially for my curly girls. Personally, I just skip regular conditioners all together and only use deep conditioning masks. But try to deep condition at least once a week.

Here are some great options: – Camille Rose Algae Renew – Actually smells like heaven – Shea Moisture Intensive Hydration – Super hydrating! – Not Your Mother’s Smooth Moves – So affordable (side note: Not Your Mother’s Curl Talk line has amazing curly hair products)

Vitamins

Finally, it is so important that you are getting enough of the essential vitamins that your hair needs. These include Biotin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin A, Iron, and Omega 3.

– It’s a great idea to take supplements to make sure you’re getting the perfect amount of what you need. I use Nature’s Bounty Hair, Skin, & Nails – These are great for strong nails too!

– You can also get your nutrients by eating foods rich in these vitamins. This includes fatty fish (like salmon), avocados, spinach, eggs, nuts, and seeds.

I still have a long way to go with my hair growth journey, but these tips have been extremely helpful for me so far, and I hope you can benefit from them too. Remember, everyone’s hair is different and grows at a different pace. Implement any of these into your life in whatever way works best for you!

Carly Esterman

Jefferson '27

I'm Carly, a first-year fashion merchandising student here at Jefferson! I love cooking and baking, music, reading, and of course, fashion!