This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Nearly 800,000 people die by suicide in the world each year, which is roughly one death every 40 seconds (save.org). September is Suicide Awareness Month, a time to share resources and awareness on a stigmatized topic. Often, people struggling feel too ashamed to talk openly. However, it is important to check up on those you love because suicidal thoughts can affect anyone, regardless of age, gender, etc.

Personally, I knew a few people that have committed suicide. I wish I could go back and tell them that there is no one else like them, that they are not a waste of space, and that it will get better. However, they made a decision that they can’t take back, and because of that I feel an increased responsibility to help those around me that may still be struggling.

Something my mom always says to me is “this too shall pass,” and whenever I am feeling sad or down I try to remind myself that there is more to life than the sadness I feel in that moment.

Remember to check up on those you love, even if they seem like they’re doing okay. You truly never know who is struggling behind the scenes. This isn’t a practice life, this is the only one you get, and absolutely nothing is worth taking your life over.

Remember: YOU ARE WORTHY, YOU ARE STRONG, AND YOU ARE MEANT TO BE HERE.

If you or someone you know is struggling, call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). If you don’t want to talk on the phone, you can also text NAMI to 741-741 to be connected to a free, trained crisis counselor.

Marina Hatem

Jefferson '22

second year nursing student big believer in #girlpower lover of tea, yoga, crystals, & the color yellow