This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

The start of November has brought colder weather and darker skies. Time spent out on the lawn chairs studying quickly decreases, and we’re all wondering what to do to occupy our time besides work on the ever present flow of schoolwork. Here are my favorite things to do in the colder months that keep my hands and mind busy:

1. Read and get cozy

I love to sit down with a good book and a mug of coffee or hot chocolate in my free time. There’s just something so nice about getting in comfortable clothes and shutting out the world for an hour or two, especially when the weather outside is less than pleasant.

1. Try cooking a new recipe

For those of us with kitchens, cooking is a great way to stay nice and warm while making something delicious. You don’t even need to buy a cookbook – I’ve found plenty of great recipes on social media for free, you just need to get the ingredients.

1. Purge your closet

Twice a year I like to evaluate my wardrobe and see what pieces I might need more of, or what I never wear and want to toss. If you can’t go outside, what’s a better thing to do than clean out your closet? That way you can plan your next shopping excursion and make a donation bag. I personally love doing this in the winter because it’s cold and homeless shelters are always in need of warm clothes.

Emily Philippi

Jefferson '26

My name is Emily and I'm currently a pre-med student at Thomas Jefferson University. In my free time I love to read, work out, go on hikes, and spend time with my two cats!