A Spooky Tribute to Sharon Needles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

It’s the best time of the year again: Halloween season! It’s the perfect time to pay homage to the quintessential horror queen, Sharon Needles. Sharon is the winner of season 4 of Rupaul’s Drag Race. RuPaul’s Drag Race is a global phenomenon with an extremely dedicated fan base. True fans know all of the most quotable lines from the prolific series. One of the most quoted is from an iconic fight between Sharon and her arch nemesis Phi Phi O’Hara concerning Sharon’s eclectic style.

Throughout the season, Sharon was told show diversity and not to rely on spooky, but I disagree! I want to see spooky and I want to see it all the time. I’m going to throw it back and count down her five best “party city” looks from season 4.

Season Premier Look

I was in love as soon as Sharon walked in with a pointy witch hat on and the line “I look spooky but I’m really nice!” From day one, she looked like an underdog because her act was so much different than any one else who had been on the show thus far.

Final Three Look

Sharon proved herself as a force to be reckoned with throughout the season and made it to the top three. Season 4 is the first season to have a finale take place in front of a live audience in a theatre rather than on the drag race stage. The contestants of season four were not anticipating that, so this quintessential Sharon look was meant to be her look for what she thought would be the crowning episode.

Dress to Impress Runway

Whereas many of the queens used this runway category to dress in glamorous drag, Sharon came out looking like a plastic surgery addict. Sharon is never predictable, which is what makes her such a beloved queen. This actually turned about to be foreshadowing for her real life, because she’s used her winnings to make her face look almost unrecognizable.

Crowning look

Sharon made it to the final three with her rival Phi Phi O’Hara, a young pageant queen, and Chad Michaels, a seasoned Cher impersonator who also showed great diversity. During the time between the season premier and the finale, Sharon got an extreme outpouring of support from other people who felt like outsiders. When she was crowned in her two-tone wig and Ouija board planchette, she was very emotional because she felt she was helping to validate those people.

Rupocalypse Now Look

This was the first runway and it had an apocalypse theme. The queen’s were asked to use found items to make an end-of –the-world themed look. Sharon looked like an under dog because she could not sew and that has historically caused problems for queens in the past. Her look on the mannequin was described by one of the other queens as a “brown sock.” When she walked out on the runway in this look, with the blood running out of her mouth, it established her as a front-runner and she won the challenge. It also produced her best look of the entire season.

In the final words of Sharon Needles after her crowning: “Happy Halloween everybody!”

I am a sophomore Fashion Merchandising major from the eastern shore of Maryland. My interests include books, fashion, music, and movies.