The Risks of Online “Relationships”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

If you’re like me, you are probably a broke college student trying to get by on meal swipes and cheap coffee. But, have you ever wondered how easy it would be to receive money online just for being your own awesome self? Well, I have, and it definitely didn’t go according to plan.

What you are about to read is my own personal experience with the online site, Seeking Arrangements. I know what you’re thinking, “isn’t that for like sugar babies and weird adults?” The answer, frankly, is yes, there are tons of old white men who flaunt over young women, not even mentioning to the other things that go on that website. Some even get off on giving youths loads of cash, sometimes for private photos or in other situations foot pictures. No, I did not go on this website in the hope of finding a sexual or romantic relationship, nor did I give any personal information, including photos of myself. I went on this website to use my feminine power for good and take advantage of this opportunity that would easily bring some money into my life. Obviously, since I am writing this, it did not end up going the way I thought it would.

Basically, this man (who is not who he said he was) sent me a $1700 check in my name. Me, being naive and money-driven, thought wow, okay, this is a lot of money. Let’s deposit that. Sadly, I woke up the next morning with my whole bank account frozen, check fraud as my new nickname, and 911 on speed-dial (in fear I would be abducted or God-knows-what.) Fortunately, I have learned from my mistakes and have cleared up the whole situation with my bank, police, and parents. Before I give a list of risks/do not’s, I will leave you with the words of wisdom from the officer I spoke with; “not all money is good money, sometimes it is stolen, fake, or just blatantly non-existent. There are other ways you can make money, you look like you would fit in at any pizza-joint around here.” I agreed, trying not to smile disparagingly at the dad-like pizza joint joke. So here are some do nots and risks of online relationships, whether platonic or just for fun.

Never ever under any circumstances give random information about yourself to anyone online.

Including your name, address, photos, etc. Even if you think you know this person, even if you’ve been chatting up a storm online for two-weeks or whatever, people are not always who they say they are.

If you feel pressured to do things by someone online, BLOCK and REPORT.

There is no reason you should feel vulnerable or be manipulated by a stranger hidden behind the screen. They are the true coward.

If you are really desperate for money, and chatting with old people online sounds inviting, it’s not.

Sure, there are some nice men in the world who actually want to help you out. But 99% of the time there is a catch, and you will be the victim. Instead, get creative! Sell some clothes at Plato’s closet, make an Etsy account, sell some paintings! There are so many ways we can support ourselves, mainly just by loving and caring for ourselves.

I hope this article does good for those of you want to make fast cash. There are better ways to make money ya’ll, take it from me.

The jefferson team is welcoming, fun, and loving!