Ravenhill Food Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Freshman year can be rough for so many reasons. Whether you’re missing home, stressed out because of class, or just plain lost and confused, we feel your pain. We also know the options at freshman dining hall don’t make it any better. We’ve all been through it, but it gets so much better! For all of our PhilaU freshman, we want to share a few tips on how to get the most out of your meal swipes at Ravenhill Dining Hall. These might apply to other schools’ dining halls as well, so tell your friends!

1. Broader options at the omelet bar – You can ask for egg whites in your omelet, which are a lighter and healthier alternative, or if you’re really just in the mood for scrambled eggs, just ask! The omelet chef is so nice and approachable. Just make sure you get there before the line gets too long on the weekend.    
  2. Warm, fresh dessert items – Most of the time, the desserts offered in the dining hall have been sitting out for a while and can taste a little stale. You can make them taste so much better just by warming them up. We suggest putting the cookies in the toaster and brownies in the microwave. Add a little ice cream and you’re good to go!    
  3. Gluten free options – PhilaU is wonderful because they offer alternatives for people with specific dietary needs. Gluten free granola and cookies are available for those who need it, and they usually taste so much better! Of course, if there’s only some left and you CAN eat gluten, maybe just leave it for someone else. Also, always remember to double check with a dining hall staff member to ensure that things are labeled correctly!    
  4. Open House food – If you came to the Open House before coming to PhilaU, you might be especially disappointed in the dining hall now that you’ve seen what it’s really like. They always put out the best food when we have visitors, so make sure to stop by the dining hall then. Ravenhill is buffet style, so you can even stock up on stuff to bring back to your room!    
  5. Late night – I’m sure you guys have heard of the option to use a meal swipe at late night, but if you haven’t tried it yet, we highly recommend you do! They have delicious smoothies, cookies, and snacks – plus if you’re not in the mood for a snack every night, you can also use your meal swipe to stock up with 7 bottled Wawa drinks that’ll get you through the week.

These are just a few hacks for better food at the dining hall, but if you really want to make the most of your swipes, I suggest trying out the other dining options on campus. Even if you have to leave a little earlier, it’s worth the trip. Tuttleman Café has amazing coffee, Ted’s has really good breakfast sandwiches in the morning and pizza for lunch and dinner, and Kanbar has an awesome salad bar offering premade and custom salads. It’s hard to compete with a home-cooked meal, but if you get creative, you’ll find there are a lot of ways to upgrade your dining hall meals!

Anna McFadden

Jefferson '19

.