This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

I am convinced that this semester flew by only because how the world of anime took me into a different dimension. I got into anime during winter break this year and as a newcomer I’ve watched just a handful of some shows. Anime pulled through this semester. ?

I have compiled a list of the handful of animes I’ve watched and what they are like as well as how I would rate them. My summaries are fuzzy because I binge watch them and don’t really remember the details from some of the earlier shows. Also, my ratings should be taken with a grain of salt because 1) I don’t remember the details 2) I really liked all of them 3) These are ALL the animes I’ve ever watched.

1. Hunter X Hunter                                                                               30000/10
    • Really great show funny, morally relevant, and entertaining.
    • Gon is such an inspirational kid.
    • Hisoka is kinda … an oddball… for sure.
  2. ONE PIECE                                                                                           20000/10
    • Similar vibes to HxH
    • Luffy and Gon could be friends.
    • Comfort show
    • I don’t like the fight scenes because Luffy is always going to win, so where’s the suspense?
    • 900ish episodes. only 130ish available on Netflix.
  3. Full Metal Alchemist                                                                      10/10
    • It’s all a blur
    • I was really invested though
    • Funny and deep, a good combination
  4. DEATHNOTE                                                                                       8/10
    • This was one of the earlier animes I watched and to be honest I usually get scared by shows like this, but this was one was fascinating
    • Fun and fresh
    • Main character low-key creepy. Aren’t you supposed to empathize with the main character and care for them? Or maybe this was purposefully done to show the true nature of humanity, I do not know.
  5. The Promised Neverland                                                              8/10
    • Also, a more of a horror utopia/dystopia vibe, but I really enjoyed the plot
    • Waiting for Season 2
    • I’m proud to say I watched it before it started trending on TikTok ?
  6. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K                                                      10/10
    • Great comfort show
    • Saiki is just hilarious
    • Not binge-worthy because the episode plots are sort of repetitive.
  7. Great Pretender                                                                               7/10
    • One of the first shows I watched so I don’t really remember a lot other than it being about a criminal organization.
    • I really like the evil mastermind kind of thing, where they’ve figured out their opponents moves before it even happens.
  8. March Comes in like a Lion                                    10/10 for deepness, -3/10 for binge-worthiness
    • Very deep, and more slow-paced compared to the others on this list
    • Very introspective main character
    • May cause crying and emotions!
    • Relaxing/calming show but kind of eerie, not binge-material
  9. Erased                                                                                                  7/10
    • To be honest, don’t remember what this show was about but I liked it I think…
    • I think it was a more serious mood with some eerie 
    • Quick watch for a weekend or night of streaming

Have you watched one of these animes before? Do you agree with my ratings? I hope you all will consider wandering into the world of anime if you need something new to watch this summer. Good luck with finals everybody!

Meeval Biju

Jefferson '24

Hello hello! I'm a student at Jefferson University. I love science, music, food, and sleep.