This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

If you’re a design major, you may have run into Professor Rashidah Salam, or even taken one of her classes. Known for her sunny personality, sense of humor, motherly teaching style, and unique fashion, Rashidah is well-loved by all of her students. This week at Her Campus, we took some time to interview her and get some fun facts on the woman everyone loves!

HerCampus: Where are you originally from?

Rashidah: Originally, I am from Malaysia. Johor is my hometown, which is located in the southern part of Malaysia, neighboring Singapore. I migrated to the US in 2002 to be with my family.

HC: Malaysia is definitely an area with a really diverse and fascinating heritage. Are you influenced at all today by that culture?

Rashidah: I remember when I was in Graduate school in Memphis, my professor used to say to me that I can hide who I am but my works speak about who I am; colorful and ornate. Yes! I am very much influenced and inspired by my culture, my roots, my origins and also my surroundings.

HC: Sometimes your own culture can be the best source of inspiration! So what classes do you teach here at PhilaU?

Rashidah: I teach Design Essentials and CAD – Introduction to Digital Imaging courses.

HC: Do you have a class that you enjoy teaching the most? If so, why?

Rashidah: I enjoy every class that I am responsible to teach.  It doesn’t matter what class I teach. It always brings joy to me to get the chance to teach and help students since my specialties are in studio practices and problem solving.

HC: I really appreciate how you balance so many different positions, and how in addition to being an awesome teacher, you also find the time to be an amazing wife and mother. What do you love most about those roles?

Rashidah: To me, I have this permanent job that I love to do around the clock. It doesn’t stop! I treat each every second that I spend time with my family as a joyous learning experience. We get to learn to know each other better and we also learn to make each other’s life better and comforting.

HC: Definitely some good life goals! So on top of everything else, you also do independent art on the side. Can you talk a little about that?

Rashidah: I am very excited that I’ve recently won an award for my painting, the Robert Nexon Memorial Award at Cheltenham Center for the Arts. The award was one of numerous awards I’ve received in my art career. My inspiration arrives from so many different angles (E.g. people, events, moods, etc.) My interest is in painting, sculpture and mixed media. I’ve always been intrigued working with collage, photomontage and layering techniques. I react to the events, people, good and bad things that have happened in my life and in the life that surrounds me through the intense layers of images and motifs and vivid colors in my work. This is my way of recording and re-telling events that have touched me.

HC: Last, but not least! I remember when I took your CAD class, you always had a funny joke or quote. Do you have a favorite that you’d like to share?           

Rashidah: I have this one joke that does always make people laugh… When I first moved here, I was just amazed with the drugstores. I can’t believe these stores sell drugs openly and not afraid to let people know that they are selling drugs by putting the sign in front of the store as “Drugstore”. I was thinking to myself isn’t that a crime to sell drugs to people.

Ok, give me a second to collect myself… see, I wasn’t kidding when I said she had a sense of humor! Rashida, thank you so much for taking the time to answer some questions, and best of luck with classes and everything else you do!

— xo HC