This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Some of my time spent in quarantine was spent watching new/old shows on Netflix. Here are 9 of my favorites: 

1. Lucifer 

(Picture of cartoon devil/devil horns) 

This show is about Lucifer, a fallen angel, who leaves Hell to go to Los Angeles where he gets caught amongst a murder mystery. If you like crime solving shows that also have a bit of comedy, you’ll definitely love this show! I can’t wait for season 5 part 2! 

2. Enola Holmes 

(Picture of magnifying glass) 

It was a cute story following Enola Holmes, the sister of Sherlock Holmes, who embarks on a journey to find her mother. This movie has a lot to do with word games and mystery. I loved this movie and I hope there is a second one! 

3. Julie and the Phantoms 

(Picture of a piano) 

This show might be marketed towards kids, but I feel like teenagers are more drawn to it. It’s probably because its directed by Kenny Ortega who also directed the High School Musical movies. Julie and the Phantoms is about a girl who, due to the death of her mother, loses her passion to sing and write music. This changes when she meets a band who turns out to be ghosts. Overall, this show was amazing, and the songs were so catchy! 

4. Cursed 

(Picture of a sword) 

When I started Cursed, I wasn’t sure if I would like it. But in the end, I found the storyline to be very interesting and definitely the type of show where you want to keep watching. It’s actually a retelling of the original Arthurian story. It’s about a girl named, Nimue, who wields a powerful sword that can save her people, but this sword is wanted by other dangerous people. The first season ended on a cliffhanger, so I’m eagerly waiting for season 2! 

5. The Circle 

(Picture of social media/cell phone) 

I don’t usually watch reality TV shows, so when I started this show, I didn’t expect to like it. I think I really liked not only the drama, but the comedy. The people who were on the show as well as the host, Michelle Buteau, were so funny! This show is about a group of people who compete to be the best social media influencer. Can’t wait to meet new contestants in season 2! 

6. All Together Now 

(Picture of a singer) 

This movie is definitely a tearjerker! It’s about a girl who’s an amazing singer but also holds a huge secret: she’s homeless and lives on a school bus. The main girl is played by Auli’i Cravalho who, if you didn’t know, voiced Moana. Auli’i Cravalho is actually what got me interested in this movie. I think she played her character well which made all the emotions feel so real. This movie is a must watch! 

7. Trinkets 

(Pictures of jewelry) 

Sadly, this show did get canceled after only 2 seasons. I actually started watching Trinkets when the first season came out. I was just really intrigued by the storyline. The show is about 3 teenagers that meet each other and become friends through a Shoplifters Anonymous support group. Throughout the show, the main characters learn many lessons and even though I’m sad the show got canceled, I’m happy with how the story was tied up. 

8. Unsolved Mysteries 

(Picture of crime files/anything mystery related) 

If you’re into crime solving shows like Criminal Minds, this is definitely a show for you! Each episode is about a real-life mystery that is unsolved. Throughout each episode you start to really think about who the murderer was and what you would’ve done if you were the detective. 

9. Carmen Sandiego 

(Picture of a thief) 

This show is also a children’s show, but it’s so good that it doesn’t matter! Carmen Sandiego is a “thief”. She steals things so the bad guys can’t steal them and then she returns the items. You also get a few geography/history lessons from each episode which is probably where the “children’s show” aspect comes in. I love how strong and brave Carmen is and I can see how she can be an inspiration to many children. 

I hope you enjoy these shows as much as I did!  

Riya Roy

Jefferson '24

Hi! I'm Riya, a Senior Pre-Med major at Jefferson! I'm from Northeast Philly and I've lived there my whole life. I enjoy reading, art, baking and binge watching Netflix! This year, I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Jefferson and I'm so excited!! Hope you enjoy my articles :)