Career > Her20s

My Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

With fall approaching next week, pumpkin spice season is here! I, personally, couldn’t wait for Starbucks to drop their pumpkin spice lattes at the end of August, so I have been making a homemade version since the beginning of the school semester.

Here it is, courtesy of Sweet Steep (https://www.sweetsteep.com/pumpkin-spice-sauce-recipe/) —

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup water

2/3 cup pumpkin puree

14 ounces sweetened condensed milk

1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 Combine sugar and water in a small pot on the stove over medium heat.

2. Once the sugar has dissolved and this simple syrup reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low.

3. Add pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to the syrup mixture on the stove.

4. Stir all ingredients together for a minute or two over low heat.

5. Remove from heat and let the pumpkin sauce cool. Store in a jar in the refrigerator.

This makes approximately 40 tablespoons, and you can use it however you’d like. This is a much cheaper alternative to Starbucks (which charges nearly $6 for a PSL!) or other major coffee chains, and you get to control how sweet it is too by reducing or adding more sugar.

When it comes to making the actual pumpkin spice latte, I use this Starbucks at Home (https://athome.starbucks.com/recipe/pumpkin-spice-latte) recipe for Pumpkin Spice Latte, using Sweet Steep’s recipe instead of Starbucks’.

My boyfriend and I are fortunate enough to have a small espresso machine in our apartment, so we add the syrup to that, but any type of coffee (instant, store-bought, French press, etc.) work! I love being able to drink that tastes like the real thing before class while saving money. I even get to add the dairy alternative of my choice without being charged extra!

Thanks for reading, and if you try this recipe, hope you enjoy it!

Kamille is a fourth-year Psychology major and Communication minor at Thomas Jefferson University. She enjoys reading, creative writing, and experimenting in the kitchen.