This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Everyone loves a good chocolate chip cookie, whatever the perfect chocolate chip cookie may mean to them. To me, the perfect cookie has crisp edges and a warm, chewy center, and I wanted to make sure I was able to have my perfect chocolate chip cookie and the warm comforting feelings that come with it whenever I wanted. So, over the past few years, I’ve spent some time perfecting my chocolate chip cookie recipe with little variations each time. My recipe started off with Rosanna Pansino’s “The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe” which you can find here.

While this recipe was delicious, the results were not quite perfect to me yet. I had two main adjustments that I wanted to make: make the cookies a little less salty and give the cookies a chewier texture. I’ve tried several adjustments over the time I’ve been working with this recipe and I have gotten a lot of different results! Below is my final recipe for my perfect chocolate chip cookie, and at the end, I have recommendations of adjustments to make if your perfect chocolate chip cookie looks a bit different than mine!

Ingredients: 

• 2 ½ cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 sticks of salted butter at room temperature
  • ¾ cup white sugar
  • ¾ cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon of milk
  • 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips

Steps: 

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the white sugar, brown, sugar, butter, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
  3. Add in one egg and mix well. 
  4. Repeat step 3 with the second egg. 
  5. Add the milk and mix well
  6. Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt, mixing slowly to combine the wet and dry ingredients. (You can combine the dry ingredients with each other before this step if you choose but I have never had bad results adding them without combining before.)
  7. Roll the dough into the cookie size of your choosing and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheet(s). 
  8. Bake for 10-15 minutes. 
  9. Let cool on a wire rack and enjoy!

Recommendations:

• For a thicker, cakier cookie: Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours before baking. They will not spread as much and become denser as a result!
  • For a crisper cookie: Do not add the tablespoon of milk! I added the milk to make the cookies chewier, so without the milk, the cookies will have a crisp texture throughout.

For a sweeter cookie: Use milk chocolate chips instead of semisweet! This is an easy ingredient swap for a bit more sweetness to your cookie.

Emma Prushan

Jefferson '25

Emma is a junior at Jefferson studying Visual Communication Design/Graphic Design. She serves as Senior Editor, Events Coordinator, and Graphic Designer of HerCampus Jefferson. In her free time, she enjoys reading, doing crafts, playing the guitar, and taking any opportunities to be creative!