This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

My favorite time of the year, Halloween, is quickly approaching and if you’re anything like me, this means you need to celebrate festively. Today I present you with my all-time favorite movies to put on your list this spooky season.

Hocus Pocus (1993) & Hocus Pocus 2 (2022)

This one is self-explanatory, but it never gets old. I watched Hocus Pocus 1 with my mom at the end of September after a bad day, and it made me so happy. I recently watched the newer one, and I thought it was adorable!

Synopsis- “A curious youngster moves to Salem, where he struggles to fit in before awakening a trio of diabolical witches that were executed in the 17th century.”

diH3s5K9BCZE6bYbplWwXGpbm EIlMRW39ur1hJHfN2ebC6AD LX6WMP3CjvsiMJ4zZ ty9UhPGwATVW99xkbwUc1ojqtc87AkAf8OfG9IXjfbbfelV1QPlqR6M0x T0xT1MF9

Hocus Pocus

Halloweentown, Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge, Halloweentown High, and Return to Halloweentown. (1998-2006)

Another classic! If you were a Disney Channel kid like me growing up, you will appreciate this being so high on my last. Unpopular opinion, but I liked Marnie better in the last season. I wish she was the actress for one, two, and three as well!

Series Synopsis- “When a young girl living with her good-witch grandmother learns she too is a witch, she must help her grandmother save Halloweentown from evil forces.”

ullAJXA82IxwWLp7pnQyN17D95VdbVKWOWeOAM9n3YScdh QHy8kI9hOfHU5uVuaUFvnAocPHbdE YwbT ncNVdj681D7Kce0jW0ZiMIryQsUXDQ2 ueIVbmBA2QOiMg0r0U7ITRbCuHGdr7qg3J5K7RoqaHBkj 32wnA0JJWitTK2UKYyuzgnh3UQ

Halloweentown

Beetlejuice (1988)

Nothing beats the original Beetlejuice from 1988. This movie is a MUST on your Halloween marathon nights. 

Synopsis: “This Tim Burton horror/comedy follows a ghost couple who haunt their prior home, alongside, of course, a devious poltergeist named Beetlejuice. Watch for the laughs and THE famed striped suit.”

a3Z39emXozngBxdL3XCSn3w kzsnSoMgx3 AtAQWRQeFwD2hmhVxCrWRkwSh m9dxq1m09XiI SYofd1fcmYODH9EuHT 8NCcy0 J7m0CLCtNz7Pt2ZdcmCHfA dEtdKIgoPh jn 55ogVyLE6V3C z2YONrtAsHXtupXDdNneCty1LTVPqPUdaB

Beetlejuice

Ghostbusters (1984)

Can you tell I have an old soul? If you automatically hear the ghostbusters song every time you think of this movie, you’re not alone. I vividly remember playing freeze dance to that song at elementary school halloween parties. 

Synopsis: “After the members of a team of scientists lose their cushy positions at a university in New York City, they decide to become ‘ghostbusters’ to wage a high-tech battle with the supernatural for money. They stumble upon a gateway to another dimension, a doorway that will release evil upon the city. The Ghostbusters must now save New York from complete destruction.”

n4IsCLkDxjOdJaQeLdua07ftfJHvsmEupbe qMjFD JTSn0XkOt1lVED69wNXM0XP7eXTk42AFcbj8F8YD2afcUUmM5QFWHMduAWTrIpFxGNu6qi ySTj0j0Sl0fTjuU0f4ZcbpoA71ww0jV02C bzNZe2JPkC0zrx6CDpIrG QNspbio3iw LNN

Ghostbusters

Twitches (2005) and Twitches Too (2007)

Yet another Disney Channel classic series I will never get sick of. The acting may not be great, but the plot is super cute!

Series Synopsis: “Two teen witches who were separated at birth and were adopted by two different families meet on their 21st birthday and must use their powers to save the world in which they were born, where their birth mother still lives.”

1 KzFezIdT7BPN8M7ypwU3eA5c82FTiYFBb3g0vY4XV3t80UOBPXVSnyc9 R0Vpo6yehf1ZQE97d8FXepczcjaGzLltifrT0kDH

Twitches

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Personally, I like to watch this one towards the end of the Halloween season, because it also prepares you for Christmas! I absolutely love the character of Jack Skellington. 

Synopsis: “Jack Skellington, king of Halloween Town, discovers Christmas Town, but his attempts to bring Christmas to his home causes confusion.”

Bq p62ZyL8cji M1gplLBvR wxm3cXa7nPaiUgUG52eMYLrEYFq69y8rW5TDb7ZpER5op4jIG4BWDyG 0 QECDbU0cvAjlcn5lnGk9SS4eBSW7bxdLgCL8CLxixPG CmubDj4WTnOY rf53nHhJ6ccJI0uf0foiFoMm3Qngl8jWMDNItdK73VXlAvw

The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Adams Family (1991)

They recently came out with a children’s cartoon as well, but the originals are always better. Wednesday Adams is such a mood alone. 

Synopsis: “Con artists plan to fleece an eccentric family using an accomplice who claims to be their long-lost uncle.”

KNH6Ug4NZRWZ1CehohvPAutMU7381GPdTrVSNuzFdn88XppFEfDVShGefs2Cysm5xYYDiMUu Ulrx3XZ387CKp6UusO7Faf8 Sz3B369qZgv4lRi6tGN4jhlQ2e0PP1tgMJFIfgn gCKtlVnw1m8H2kI7gcHqbMXTkwEmePl8avL8dzfl2WolVK0zg

The Adams Family

Scream (1996)

It may be called “Scream”, but I promise you you probably won’t. This was one of the first horror movies I’ve ever watched growing up, in middle school with my friend group. I remember being terrified, but looking back, I feel stupid. 

Synopsis: “A year after the murder of her mother, a teenage girl is terrorized by a new killer, who targets the girl and her friends by using horror films as part of a deadly game.”

OZYcf5IsOArQw6iqsaxoijYZXZfnnIib7VA9GYvNxFeeslQx fW3IVgh8PrmwNZMmG5XCpbNJ09I4tx tuJGlOFct11s0 KriH82WOmr9L0W8

Scream

Young Frankenstein (1974)

I don’t know about you, but I genuinely love old films. While I didn’t love the book, I watched this movie in class, junior year of high school and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Synopsis: “An American grandson of the infamous scientist, struggling to prove that his grandfather was not as insane as people believe, is invited to Transylvania, where he discovers the process that reanimates a dead body.”

tTpadxlTfGOJJRicQsKGJ8IOtdC4H2GnMQOBAXwJuy2ZF6D6eR6nXqEIGgzKbxONtiZ6XUE FPLrhxAhsv2t5imWAD4i7HIfSgI30u

Young Frankenstein

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

If you have never heard of this movie, you must live under a rock. Kids who have never even seen it still know “One, two, Freddy’s coming for you”. Again, this is a not-so-scary “scary” movie because of the quality of the filming (it was done in the 80’s, after all).

Synopsis: “The monstrous spirit of a slain child murderer seeks revenge by invading the dreams of teenagers whose parents were responsible for his untimely death.”

icmk0si01XFBiZlPNIfhbFgRw4rDtJTYei80xGZ j1F9U2XRtFJQ DkMuKBk3yvG2nvcOCvJMAaAkLN2QX53NSAxi1vVtwp nFuLyjQ76qdvss2GoUSE128N4JabCn02oYtxkoa6gRxk nf08OOT04VcqSFbeCICu3pzP GPGNssVN2iMG0zINggDw

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Sleepy Hollow (1999)

I’m sure you have heard of the Legend of the Sleepy Hollow. If not, let me fill you in. It is Washington Irving’s 1820 tale of a headless horseman who terrorizes the real-life village of Sleepy Hollow is considered one of America’s first ghost stories—and one of its scariest. AND Johnny Depp is in it. What a win!

Synopsis: “Ichabod Crane, a Yankee wanderer, arrives in Sleepy Hollow and becomes the new schoolmaster. He meets Katrina Van Tassel, and blissfully fantasizes about how can marry her, ultimately, inherit her father’s rich estate. Her suitor Brom Bones, the blacksmith, wants to scare him away and dresses up as the legendary Headless Horseman. During the prank, the real ghost appears and drives Ichabod off.”

o0OHOg8b9MGjlMkNS4 pAMxuoD7ryXG0Vftl3SVIW4F6 cNUyEah0pltUy7gYnJTmrMFNJ2XqoJZFXWaroTpb5DW p6VU28N55XtdYemupMBO8jzqWfs0E riVMZ5swp1Vi8K7XmcQxCLMl7ztybutM9z4Fp1VMRk8Jq0scMjAlKo6FrZAISVC

Sleepy Hollow

I hope your spooky season is great, but it will be even spookier after watching all these movies ;)

Brynn Hurley

Jefferson '25

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for visiting my website! My name is Brynn Hurley. I am currently studying Communications with a focus in Journalism at Jefferson University in Philadelphia, PA, however, I am from Southern New Jersey. For my whole life, I have lived in a lakeside- log cabin, but I tend to be more of a preppy girl! I am very passionate about fashion, particularly petite fashion. I am 5″0, so finding brands that fit me right can be a struggle! I enjoy sharing the clothes and accessories that work for my build. (P.S. I absolutely love anything blue and white!) Some of my favorite things to post are my outfits, accessories, and vacations! I love to travel with my family and boyfriend, Alec, and dream of going to every state. There is nothing more delightful than a long weekend away to a charming inn! My greatest aspiration is to share my love for these things with the world through social media and blogging. For the past few years, I have been running a blog, along with several social media platforms, called “Blissfully Brynn” to share all of my passions in an aesthetic way, in hope of being a full-time blogger. My brand can be described as feminine, preppy, and classy. Blissfully, Brynn