This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Love, Simon is the newest teen movie to come out, but it is a movie that people of all ages should take the time to see. Based on the novel Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, this movie is 17-year-old Simon’s love story. No one knows that Simon is gay, and he falls for another closeted boy at the school after they begin emailing back and forth. When Simon’s secret is threatened, so are his relationships with his friends and family.

There are a few things that this movie gets very right, and the film’s soundtrack is one of them. Music is an outlet and Love, Simon’s soundtrack perfectly captures the feelings of a teenager today. It feels personal like we are getting to listen to Simon’s playlist along with him. Relevant artists like Bleachers, Khalid, and Troye Sivan all have songs on the soundtrack. This is a soundtrack that you want to listen to again and again.

The relationships that are shown throughout the movie are so important. Simon and his sister are seen supporting each other, not fighting. His friendships reflect modern teenagers, how they interact and how they can be there for each other. How they fall apart and come back together show audiences how they can handle fallouts with friends. The evolution of Simon’s relationship with his parents shows how a healthy parent-child relationship should look. Parents of LGBT children can see examples of how to support their children. The school staff in the movie can even prove to be an example for educators for how to handle intolerance and bullying at their schools. Each of Simon’s interactions in the movie help him to grow, and each interaction can make the movie personal for a wider audience.

This movie is the most powerful for an audience that is in the same position as Simon. In the movie, when reflecting on why he hasn’t come out yet, Simon says that maybe it is because he isn’t ready for his whole world to change. Coming out can be a very scary process. You aren’t sure if any of your relationships are going to be the same and you can even face bullying and violence. However, this movie is a beacon of hope and inspiration for LGBT youth. Watching Simon be brave and have a happy ending can inspire audiences that they could do the same. The mere fact that a gay relationship is being represented in mass media can make people more accepting and tolerant.

Love, Simon is a movie that is worth seeing. Whether you see yourself on screen or not, this movie will make you laugh, cry, and cheer. 

PC: foxmovies.com

I am a first-year student at Jefferson University studying Textile Materials Technology. I am originally from a suburb of Chicago, Illinois and now study in Philadelphia. At school, I am on the cross country and track teams, and I sing in the school's choir. I love going thrift shopping, reading, finding cool concerts to go to, and activism!