This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

A month or two ago, I saw a TikTok that talked about breaking down your night routine into three steps. Since then, I’ve tried to implement this technique as part of my daily life, sometimes writing out a plan in my journal to help myself stick to it. Throughout the past few weeks, I’ve enjoyed figuring out all of the different ways I can integrate more self-care into my night routines. I have also learned to become more patient with myself when developing a new routine and really listen to what my mind and body need that day. 

If you want to include a new, simple night routine into your day, here is the technique and some ideas of things you can do to get you started: 

1. Do something to take care of future you
  • Put away things you left out during the day (books, clothes, shoes, etc.)
  • Do or fold laundry
  • Do or put away dishes
  • Prepare your backpack for the next day
  • Prepare your breakfast or lunch for the next day
  • Take a shower
  • Do some skincare
  • Paint your nails
  1. Do something for connection, play, or fun (to take care of present you)
  • Text a friend or significant other
  • Watch a movie or show by yourself or with friends
  • Talk to your friends or roommates
  • Play a game on your phone
  • Listen to music
  • Call your family
  • FaceTime a friend
  • Read a chapter of a book
  • Do a craft 
  1. Do something for rest, calm, or relaxation (to take care of past you)
  • Journal
  • Drink a cup of tea
  • Meditate
  • Listen to soothing music
  • Do some gentle stretching
  • Go to sleep early

I hope that you try this routine or that it helps you think of your existing routine in a different way! It is so beneficial to include self-care into your daily routine for your mental and physical health, even if it is by doing simple things like going to bed early. Use the three steps as a guide to consider the ways you take care of yourself each day and hopefully learn some new ways to do so!

You can see the TikTok that inspired this article here: https://www.tiktok.com/@bad_art_everyday/video/7148170388797738283?_t=8X3OZpjNGta&_r=1

Emma Prushan

Jefferson '25

Emma is a junior at Jefferson studying Visual Communication Design/Graphic Design. She serves as Senior Editor, Events Coordinator, and Graphic Designer of HerCampus Jefferson. In her free time, she enjoys reading, doing crafts, playing the guitar, and taking any opportunities to be creative!