Life > Academics

Is It Okay to Have an Easy Senior Year?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Upon starting my senior year of college, I was aware of how much simpler this coming year would be. My schedule was mostly elective classes with my only science class being Genetics. In previous years, I had packed my schedule with a lot of my required science classes, which is why I mostly have elective classes left. I was so excited to finally get a break after the stressful three years I have had. On the other hand, I found myself feeling a little worried that I’m not doing enough.

I started feeling this way because over the summer, I had to go to a medical school orientation. One of the Deans of the school told us that our final year should not be easy and we should continue to push ourselves. He wanted us to do so in preparation for the rigor of medical school. What he was talking about made sense. If I lose the routine of taking more difficult classes, how am I going to get through medical school? This orientation had me debating two sides: whether I should add more classes to my schedule or just leave it as it is.

In the end, I decided to keep my schedule the same and see how my first semester went, and then decide if I should take more science classes in the spring. Now that I am 4 weeks into my senior year, I can say that I love having a lighter load. Like I mentioned before, I am used to having a more busy schedule. Junior year was especially rough because I think I took on too much to the point where I was constantly overwhelmed. I didn’t have much free time for clubs, friends, family, and myself. Now, I am able to spend time with friends and family. I can be more involved as one of the CCs for my school’s HC chapter. And, finally, I have more time to focus on myself. Just having the time to go to the gym in the morning or watch my comfort show to wind down at night makes a huge difference. Lately, I feel more at ease and less stressed.

So, is it okay to have an easy senior year? Honestly, it all depends on what YOU want to do because you know yourself best! In my own personal opinion, I think an easy senior year is what I need before I start medical school, so I’m not burnt out when I get there. However, some people may want to continue challenging themselves to stay motivated which is also okay! In the end, we all are aware of what medical school may entail and we know that it’s not going to be easy. What matters is finding a way to stay focused and motivated when the future throws obstacles in our way.

Riya Roy

Jefferson '24

Hi! I'm Riya, a Senior Pre-Med major at Jefferson! I'm from Northeast Philly and I've lived there my whole life. I enjoy reading, art, baking and binge watching Netflix! This year, I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Jefferson and I'm so excited!! Hope you enjoy my articles :)