This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

It sounds crazy—I know—but I want to change the way our healthcare system operates today. You most likely have several questions about what changes I desire to make, what inspired my dreams and so much more; however, I am here to clear all of your confusion and answer questions.

After my wisdom teeth removal surgery, I realized that change was necessary. I was completely traumatized following my surgery due to the treatment I received from the healthcare workers within the facility I visited. I have never been put under anesthesia before and have also never had surgery before so obviously, I was terrified. I wanted my mother to sit in the room with me as I was put to sleep but they refused without any reasonable explanation. I have suffered with anxiety my entire life so at this point, I was hysterically crying and had deep pains within my chest; I could not breathe at all and I very so uncomfortable. The workers ignored my presence and did not utter a single word to me in order to calm me down or make me feel more comfortable.

The nurse anesthetist could not find a vein in my wrist and repeatedly jabbed my arm with the IV until she could finally find one. It was unexplainably painful and difficult to endure. My last memories of being awake before surgery was me being propped up, my palms by my sides holding me up, staring at the wall, tears pouring out of my eyes, sobbing and consistently wailing out “I want to go home.”

When I finally woke up from the surgery, I was completely drugged up. They barely monitored me, and I was kind of just told that I could go. I was shaking, and my anxiety was hitting me once again. As I was walking down the hallway, my vision became blurry, I collapsed and entirely passed out. Hospital staff rushed over with a wheelchair and placed me into it before wheeling me out to my car. I felt like an object or some type of experiment. I did not feel like a human being.

I will now forever fear receiving any procedure on me, and my view on the healthcare system will never be the same. However, I quickly changed my traumatization into inspiration. My traumatization is what inspired me to become a nursing major and what inspired me to want to help change the healthcare system.

I want to implement music and performance into the health care system specifically. Since the age of four, I have loved music; I attended music school when I was a preschooler, and I was enrolled in Philadelphia Performing Arts Charter School where I was heavily involved in the music department and various performances. In high school, I was in the Senior Chorale, the auditioned concert choir, theatre group, All City Choir, and took several theory classes including AP music theory. I also write and arrange my own music; music has changed my life and has helped me through hardships so I believe that it can help patients through their hardships as well.

I believe that music can soothe patients as they are getting their procedures and make them feel more welcomed. They will feel at home compared to feeling uncomfortable and scared.  It will also give performers a job. Many performers come out of school after getting their degree with no job so having performances within a hospital environment would give performers jobs as well. It is a win-win situation for both patients and performers.

I know I have a long way ahead of me but hopefully someday I will make the healthcare system more comfortable and happier for both you and your family.

Alyssa Farmer

Jefferson '24

I'm Alyssa! I'm a second year Nursing student. I love music, crystals, astrology, incense, Halloween, Marvel, Squishmallows, ramen and animals!