How to Survive the Pope’s Philly Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

This weekend Philadelphia is welcoming some visitors: Pope Francis and all those coming to see him, which could double the city’s population. If you’re anything like me, you probably don’t want to try navigating the busy city streets through the influx of people and need something to do while you’re staying on campus. Look no further than the Philadelphia University campus for you place to stay this weekend. Here are five things you can do that weekend if seeing the Pope is not on your agenda:

1.     Love dinosaurs and Chris Pratt? Just want to get out of your dorm for a while? If so, on Friday night, September 25, the Office of Student Engagement is showing the movie “Jurassic World” at 9:00 pm in Kanbar Performance Space. If you’re looking for something to do you can hang out with your friends, watch the movie, and take advantage of the free refreshments.

2.     If a movie night with numerous people on campus isn’t your thing, you can always watch movies with your roommates and friends. Order Insomnia Cookies (the classic chocolate chunk are fantastic!), gather all of your comfiest chairs, and find something everyone can enjoy.

3.     Maybe you want to flashback to the 1990’s and jam out to the music of Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys, then look no further than Ravenhub. On Saturday night, First Year Experience is throwing 90’s themed dance party from 9-12. There will be food and a DJ to keep the party going.  

4.     Remember the fun of family game night? If you want to spend the weekend in, you can gather everyone in your hall, if you dorm, or just all of your friends in general and throw a game night! Everyone can bring the snacks they want and you can pool together whatever board games you can find to start a tournament of your own.

5.     Reach back into your childhood and remember what you did as a kid, letting your imagination run with your friends. Build a fort using every blanket you can find, which could be especially fun if you have lofted beds. Pretend the hallways are made of lava and try not to get burned. Do each other’s makeup without looking and use the results as a fun Instagram post or paint each other’s nails and do some face masks. The possibilities are endless!

There’s a lot to do this weekend, without even making your way down to Center City. Philau has got you covered!

Kellyn Kemmerer

Jefferson '19

Senior Textile Materials Technology student from a small town in Northeastern Pennsylvania. You can find her watching Food Network or funny cat videos, making lengthy Spotify playlists, window shopping, writing, and reading.