nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Beat the Early Semester Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

It is so easy to get bogged down by school work and to lose hope early on in the semester. Accept the stress you may feel over the start of the spring semester that might be kicking your butt already, but brainstorm some ways to combat it. Place excitement, instead of negativity at your forefront. School and life in general can be a lot more enjoyable when you have things to look forward to. Envision what makes you happy and create a plan to make the most out of the rest of the school year. Academics are so important but so is personal contentment.

Take time for what you love while staying on the grind. As a student at Jefferson, a fairly small campus, my daily routine can begin to feel monotonous. I get bored easily but I love that I have the city of Philadelphia at my fingertips. Not only is Philly a train, bus or Uber ride away, Manayunk is pretty much in walking distance. There’s always so much going on and a multitude of different activities to take part in. Even if you just take an hour break from school work by grabbing a coffee or a snack at one of the many cute, local cafes, that will alleviate stress. It is crucial to clear your mind and take a break from the craziness by incorporating things you love into a daily basis. The architecture and art throughout Philadelphia neighborhoods are amazing and a great way to see it is to go for a walk or run. Just a little bit of physical activity will release endorphins and improve mood.  Life and college can become pressing sometimes and I find it refreshing to write down my thoughts down. Once you think about your feelings, you know what to change and improve upon. Take time to listen to your favorite music or watch an episode of a show you like.  If you have a little extra spending money, museums and concerts are great sources of inspiration and revitalization. Try to plan at least one fun activity or getaway a week, giving you motivation to finish work and push through the struggle. Despite where you attend school, try to seek out a form of escape, incorporate fun, and process everything that you feel.

Isobel Moyer

Jefferson '22

I am a Physician Assistant Major at Jefferson University. Lover of music, fitness, planet earth, activism, and coffee!