This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Hello friends! March is known as Women’s History Month. Women’s History Month celebrates and honors the historical, cultural, and societal contributions made by women. I think it is imperative to honor female writers throughout history especially as a writer for an organization like HerCampus who targets the female, college demographic. Without these female writers, organizations like HerCampus would not exist for women today. These female writers paved the way to allow women to be able to have creative freedom and use their voice. In spite of the abundance of female authors who have changed the world, I would like to pay tribute to one of my favorite female authors, Virginia Woolf.

Adeline Virginia Woolf (1882-1941) was considered a leading modernist author of the 20th century. The works of Woolf covered topics such as artistic theory, literary history, women’s writing, and politics. A number of Woolf’s novels were deemed as notable, including Mrs. Dalloway (1925) and To the Lighthouse (1927). Among Woolf’s various writing methods, stream of consciousness was a highly innovative narrative device she applied to her work. Besides being a writer, Virginia Woolf was a feminist and deeply desired for women to be free in every context.

One of my personal favorite works by Woolf is A Room of One’s Own (1929). The extended essays discuss and critique discrimination against women as well as women’s lack of freedom of expression. In highschool, we were required to read Shakespeare’s Sister, one of the several essays. Woolf imposes the scenario of Shakespeare possibly having a sister with the same gifts and talents yet not being able to write because of her gender. I believe this writing is extremely powerful and impactful. It truly shows how men and women are treated differently. Moreover, it shows that women deserve equal rights.

I highly recommend reading Woolf’s works. It is sincerely inspiring and proves how far women have come throughout history. I hope you feel as empowered and moved as I do when I read her works.

Mari Adamson

Jefferson '24

Mari is a 4th year at Jefferson University, majoring in health sciences and enrolled in the Pre-Physician's Assistant Program with a minor in Law. In her spare time she enjoys hiking and finding new places to eat. She also has a passion for photography and self-care!