Holiday Profile: Megan Onuskanych

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

I sat down with my roommate, Megan, to find out her holiday traditions and favorite things about Christmas. Megan is a senior textile design student from Royersford, PA who enjoys hiking and doing things outdoors. She loves decorating her space with plants, specifically succulents. In addition to being a textile student, Megan is also an RA for the third floor of Jefferson in Independence Plaza. Throughout the semester, she has organized a trip to the Barnes Foundation and threw a pizza party for the floor. You can also find festive fall banners and fun bulletin boards lining the hallway, courtesy of her.

With Christmas right around the corner, it’s always fun to see how other people choose to celebrate the holidays. Food is a big part of any celebration. When asked what her favorite holiday food is, Megan replied, “We don’t really eat one particular food for the holidays, but there is this vegan ice cream cake we make for my brother’s birthday, which happens to be on Christmas.”

On the topic of food, Meg has also said that one of her favorite Holiday traditions is baking Christmas cookies with her mom. And what would the holiday season be without Christmas movies? I asked Meg which film was her favorite and she had a hard time choosing. “There are so many, but The Family Stone would have to be number one for me.”

One thing on Meg’s Christmas list this year is new make-up, but she likes to be surprised. Giving gifts is more fun and rewarding than receiving them. She’s just looking forward to the end of the semester and being at home spending time with her family. Most of her favorite memories are just sitting on the couch cozy with her parents and brother, Evan.

It wouldn’t be a holiday-themed interview without asking a favorite Christmas Song. For this answer, Meg claimed her favorite song was a classic: “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole.

Meg’s winter wardrobe consists of every girl’s staple big sweaters, warm jacket, and a big cozy scarf. Her favorite things to wear are her Tom’s boots as she does “like to be comfortable.” Don’t we all! Especially with cold weather right around the corner, comfort is key.

Being a senior design major, I can only imagine the workload Megan had to deal with this semester. Surely she’s ready for a break. When asked if she had any big plans, she replied, “Not a ton, I’m going to work. I might go to Savannah, GA or Santa Cruz, but I’m not sure yet.”

Most people look at the New Year as a fresh start or a chance to improve themselves. Meg says she would rather start right away. “I don’t really like New Year’s Resolutions. I’d rather try a resolution right away if I have one, but I don’t have any at the moment.” Next semester is Meg’s last semester at PhilaU and she’s looking forward to it. Her top priority for next year is “focusing on my capstone work” and seeing her school friends again.

Carly Brisach is a 2nd year Fashion Design major at PhilaU. She is also an animal lover, fashion blogger and self-proclaimed SNL enthusiast. Aside from writing for Her Campus, she enjoys knitting, crocheting and weaving. Check out her Etsy shop Handmade96!