Hannah Bar-Giora: Director of International and Exchange Student Programs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Hannah Bar-Giora has worked at Philadelphia University since the year 2000 as the Director of International and Exchange Student Programs. Raised in Lower Merion, PA, Hannah Bar-Giora grew up in a family of five. She is the oldest out of her two younger sisters and spoke about how she was raised with many cats and a dog and explained how “they are a part of your family.”

After high school, Bar-Giora attended The University of Pennsylvania to receive an undergraduate in Anthropology. When she completed her degree, she traveled and eventually lived abroad for several years. In the interview, Bar-Giora talked about how she, “worked on archeological digs in France for about a year.” To this day, she has the ability to read and speak in French. Eventually, after years of studying in various countries, she returned to America.  Once she returned, she decided to go back to school. At Temple University, she received a Masters of Education. There she specialized in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TSOL) and taught English to various students. After working at St. Joseph’s University, she began her career at Philadelphia University. Ready for a change, she applied to become the new International Student Advisor at Philadelphia University, and explained that the position was appealing because it offered her, “more responsibilities and a larger population.”

Now as the Director of International and Exchange Student Programs, she explained that her job entitles her, “to take care of the international students.” Bar-Giora explained that her weekly routine involves, “a variety of recreational, cultural, and educational programing for the students.” When they arrive, she provides them with a New International Student Orientation. This helps the international students become more comfortable while also answering any questions, comments, or concerns they might have. She also handles Immigration Advising because many of the international students are here on visas issued by the U.S. Government. Visas contain rules and regulations that the international students have to follow while they are in the United States. With Immigration Advising, her job is to make sure that the rules and regulations are properly followed.  She is also in charge of the National Student Exchange program (NSE). This program allows students to leave their schools for a semester and attend a different school in America. Lastly, she is the advisor of the international student club while also being a full time staff member of the student life department. Overall, if the international students have any questions or concerns, she is their main support.

Working with international students can be quite challenging. This is because of various factors such as language barriers and different frames of references. However, Bar-Giora loves working with international students. Her past achievements have conditioned her to know what it’s like to live far away from home. She understands that it can be scary to be placed in a country that speaks a different language or has different customs and traditions. She told HerCampus that her job offers her the ability, “to plant the seeds of goodwill and friendship into their minds.” Her position has given her the opportunity to help students, “leave Philadelphia University with positive memories and a better understanding of the United States.”

In her final remarks, Bar-Giora said “Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone and visit new lands. Explore new countries and try something new because we are much more alike than you would realize. By exposing yourself to different places and experiences you will grow and take that knowledge with you for the rest of your life.”