halloween costumes enneagram types?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween costumes enneagram types?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Scott Yamano/NETFLIX © 2020
Life > Experiences

Halloween Procrastination In College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Every year, without fail, there are a large number of students scrambling to put together a Halloween costume. There are also always students putting aside their schoolwork to focus on the celebrations that come with Halloween. Procrastination is a common factor that is brought along annually as October nears its end.

Typically, students procrastinate with their schoolwork or any form of hard work that comes their way, so why do they struggle to take the time to figure out a Halloween outfit? This might have to do with the perfectionist in a lot of people. It may also be due to the idea that a Halloween costume must look stunning on everybody, and it is almost made into a competition to see who can look the best. This results in many students feeling stressed or indecisive over the different details of their costumes.

During Halloween, a person has to buy an entire outfit rather than single garments at a time. This means that each purchase must be connected and coordinated, which is not always easy. For some, although Halloween shopping is fun, the difficulty may be comparable to homework. Homework is a dreaded topic among students, so a task that is as tough to complete as homework can possibly lead up to the last minute to be completed.

Then, there are simply the students who are so focused on other aspects of their life, such as exams, that they do not even realize that Halloween has come up. This leads to a struggle to throw a last-minute costume together. The lack of time management or the overbearing stress in many can often cause them to forget about the holiday.

Overall, Halloween is a fun holiday that comes with many difficulties; pulling a perfect outfit together and managing the time between Halloween and school tangles many students up towards the end of October. Asking stressed-out college students to balance one more task on top of the pile they are already struggling to complete is a recipe for disaster. But as any writer of a procrastinated essay would say, they can pull the best work of their lives together at the last minute. 

Aliya Bilimoria

Jefferson '26

I am looking to enlighten and empower female students in college through writing!