Fall Activities That Won’t Hurt the Bank Account

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

You know it is officially fall when your social media feeds are filled with pictures of your friends picking apples and carving pumpkins. There are all sorts of fun fall events, and it can be hard to stick to your budget when the smell of apple cider is clouding your judgement. This list of activities will give you ideas of how to enjoy all the fun that fall has to offer without spending a ton of money.

1. Scary Movie Night:

While I may be a total scaredy-cat, a lot of my friends love scary movies. Popping some popcorn and having a marathon (or just watching one) is enough to get you in the spooky Halloween mood. If you are like me and scary movies aren’t your thing, a cozy movie night with apple cider will suffice too!

2. School and city events:

A lot of campuses hold fun events that happen to center on fall or Halloween. At Jefferson, we are having a fall-fest where each club/org hosts an activity or game. Always watch out for free food or discounted tickets to fests and events! Being in Philadelphia, there is always some great event to go to, so I’ve learned to be on the lookout for fun free events! The area surrounding your school is a great place to explore.

3. Halloween Costume Making:

Although Halloween is still almost a full month away, it’s never too early to plan. If you are planning on doing a group costume, or even if you and your friends all have different ideas, assembling the costume is always tricky. Start with your own closet and then head to thrift stores and the mall to buy all your essentials for the costume! If you are getting particularly creative some more assembly may be required, but setting aside time to do it early will make it so much easier when Halloween rolls around.

4. Fall Hike

Going on a hike can be a lot of fun, and being out in nature is proven to reduce stress. A more serious hike or a trail run would be fun for your friend group if you are looking for a workout. But, for those who just want to take in the changing colors and the crisp air, lacing up your sneakers and grabbing a friend or two is all you have to do to have a fun afternoon or weekend.

5. Baking Party:

Fall treats are so good, but they are even better when you make them with friends! Nothing gets me in the fall mood like freshly baked pumpkin bread does. If you don’t want to spend the money on a bunch of ingredients, the Halloween Pillsbury cookies are sold almost anywhere for super cheap.

Don’t let midterms or projects keep you from enjoying this season. Whether you go apple-picking, stay in and eat Halloween candy, carve some pumpkins, or do something from this list, fall offers so many great things for you to do with friends!

I am a first-year student at Jefferson University studying Textile Materials Technology. I am originally from a suburb of Chicago, Illinois and now study in Philadelphia. At school, I am on the cross country and track teams, and I sing in the school's choir. I love going thrift shopping, reading, finding cool concerts to go to, and activism!