The Emotionary: A Dictionary of Words That Don’t Exist for Feelings That Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

I recently had the pleasure of reading ‘The Emotionary’ by Eden Sher, and thought I’d share my personal experience with some of the words that I feel accurately describe my indescribable feelings.

Respentful (Resentful & Repentant)

• Saddened by an inability to feel happy for someone
  • This word in particular comes to mind for me in the winter specifically because I always manage to catch a case of the ‘blues.’ Sometimes, if I’m unable to feel a particular way about myself, I struggle with showing happiness towards others. This is still a work in progress for me and after talking about it with family and friends, I know I’m not alone in feeling this way.

Emotionalize (Emotion & Rationalize)

• To try to intellectualize one’s emotions
  • I perceive myself as a very logical and rational person. When it comes to emotions, I am no different in trying to categorize the emotions an individual is feeling and understand their train of thought. Emotionalizing allows me to observe emotional encounters in a different light and try and ‘feel’ rather than think about what it is exactly that I am feeling. Sometimes this process becomes exhausting because I somehow can’t seem to allow myself to understand the concept of emotion, but indulge in it at the same time.

Does that make sense?

Nonversation (Non & Conversation)

• A wordless interaction wherein an entire conversation takes place
  • Until my knowledge of this word, I’d been having nonversations with my friends and family for years. My closest friends and I can understand what the others are thinking just by looking and observing one another through facial expressions and eye contact about a particular person, situation, or feeling.

Strumble (Stress & Crumble)

• To deteriorate into nothingness from stress and exhaustion
  • Calling all students! Strumble is definitely prevalent in my life, particularly last semester. With the impending amount of homework and responsibilities in our day to day lives, ‘strumbling’ is not the healthy way to cope with it. However, I haven’t talked to a single student who hasn’t crumbled under the amount of stress they were facing.

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis