Life > Experiences

East Falls, Philadelphia Dining Directory for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Whether you’re put in charge of ordering food for the friend group or looking for a reliable midnight snack, this is the list for you. The following places are all of 3 things that are law according to college students, DFA. Delicious. Fast. Affordable.

Al-Sham

Type of food: Middle Eastern/Halal

Where: 306 W Chelten Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19144

Favorite meal: NY Lamb over rice w/ salad

Price: $9.99

Description: I can always get 2 meals out of their portion. Always ask for extra white sauce on the side.

Chubby’s Steaks

Type of food: Diner-style food

Where: 5826 Henry Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19128

Favorite meal: Curly fries

Price: $4.50

Description: You get a whole brown bag of curly fries. They’re always crispy and have some spice to them. Most often I’ll eat Chubby’s fries with a Dalessandro’s steak. I never save fries as they are not usually good the second day. However, their portion size is great for the price.

Dalessandro’s Steaks

Type of food: Cheesesteaks, hoagies, burgers, etc.

Where: 600 Wendover St, Philadelphia, PA 19128

Favorite meal: Cheesesteak – Provolone with grilled onions

Price: $7.25

Description: Probably the slowest option out of the whole list. You cannot go here during regular mealtimes which generally ends up working out with my class times anyways. Goes great with Chubby’s curly fries and a sprite. I can always get 2-3 meals out of one portion.

New Leaf

Type of food: Chinese and Japanese cuisine

Where: 4260 Main St, Philadelphia, PA 19127

Favorite meal: Beef fried rice

Price: $13.00

Description: I usually don’t order out from here however it’s a strong option. You can always get a seat here within 5-10 minutes, if not right away. The large menu allows you to go here more than once a week. I most often get fried rice which includes proteins and vegetables. It comes in a huge portion and can be spread across 3 meals. However, I suggest sharing it rather than storing because the rice texture changes after longer in the fridge.

Tiffin Indian Cuisine

Type of food: Indian

Where: 7105 Emlen St, Philadelphia, PA 19119

Favorite meal: Medium spice butter chicken with rice

Price: $16.75

Description: The price of this meal is a little higher however, I always get at least 2 meals out of the portion. The butter chicken and sauce come in a Tupperware and can easily be resealed. The rice second day is the same texture surprisingly.

I’ll be adding to this directory as I find new restaurants that meet D.F.A. For now, enjoy!

Mari Adamson

Jefferson '24

Mari is a 4th year at Jefferson University, majoring in health sciences and enrolled in the Pre-Physician's Assistant Program with a minor in Law. In her spare time she enjoys hiking and finding new places to eat. She also has a passion for photography and self-care!