This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Carly Kovin is a senior here at Jefferson University.  She was born in Chicago, but moved to Bucks County, Pennsylvania when she was six.  I met Carly when she transferred here in the fall semester of 2016.  I wanted to hear her take about what it’s like being a transfer at Jefferson, as well as a student athlete, because she is a member of the Jefferson women’s basketball team. 

Before Jefferson, Carly made her way around the block in terms of schools.  She started out at Penn State Harrisburg studying education, but then decided that wasn’t for her.  After that she attended Neuman University, where she studied business, and Bucks County Community College, also studying business, before she found Jefferson.  “I hadn’t heard of Jefferson (at the time PhilaU) until long into this process,” Carly said when I asked her why she finally chose here.  She describes herself as “indecisive,” but she has always been interested in fashion and was happy to find an in-state school that offered a great program.  Here at Jefferson she started as an international business major but is planning on switching to marketing.  “It works better for what I want to do after school.  I have looked into trend forecasting and creative directing,” she says.  She hopes to get a job in Philly. 

Transferring to a new school can be difficult and for many people it can be hard to make friends.  Carly says that was not the case for her here.  She has a very friendly and outgoing personality. “I’m used to meeting new people since I transferred so many times.  Basketball helped with that because you automatically have eleven new friends,” she says.  It didn’t take her long to adjust to the campus, but she feels like she’s still getting used to the area.  Philly is so big and there’s so much to see. 

Carly has played basketball since she was in the 4th grade.  She has always played center because at 6’0” – she is always the tallest girl on the team.  The most memorable game she has played was at her high school, Pennsbury.  It was her senior game and they won against their rival team with a double double, 20 points and 20 rebounds.  When I asked her how she balances schoolwork and sports she said, “A lot of people ask me that.  I’ve been doing it for so long that it’s not hard to manage. I just do it.”  Outside of sports, Carly loves fashion, makeup, art, music, and interior decorating.  Check out her cool look experimenting with Halloween makeup!

PC: Carly Kovin

I am a sophomore Fashion Merchandising major from the eastern shore of Maryland. My interests include books, fashion, music, and movies.