Style > Decor

Bring Spring Inside with These Low Maintenance Plants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

With nice weather around the corner, the beauty of spring has finally begun, with flowers and new growth popping up everywhere. Whether you’re looking to bring some green inside for those rainy April days or become a first time plant parent, here are some low maintenance houseplants to grow your plant collection!

1. Echeveria Succulents

Echeveria succulents are the most recognizable type of this cute, popular plant type. They do well near a window receiving high amounts of light, but can live in other conditions as well. Succulents are perfect if you are worried about taking care of your plants because they only need to be watered about once a month and it is easy to tell they need water by feeling whether or not its leaves are firm. 

1. Snake Plant

Snake plants can adapt to all sorts of light conditions, so they can be placed anywhere in your home. Mine has been thriving in all light conditions over the past year, adapting well to the high light conditions from the window in  my dorm room and the lower amounts of light it receives at home. These plants have gorgeous tiger-like stripes that run across their dark green leaves. Although they should be watered every 3 to 4 weeks, these plants can often thrive from neglect, making it an amazing low maintenance plant!

1. Air Plants

If you’re unfamiliar with air plants, they do not require to be plants in dirt to live!  Air plants also are able to survive with low light conditions and are quite hard to kill. Simply let them sit in a bowl of shallow water for 30 minutes once a week and after letting them fully dry, place them back in their home. If you are looking for a fun spring activity, make a terrarium! They can be decorated however you like and are the perfect homes for air plants!

1. Pothos Plant

Pothos are often given the title of being notoriously difficult to kill. These plants can thrive under almost any conditions, making it a very easy plant to care for. Pothos should be watered every 1 to 2 weeks as long as its soil is dry. Within no time, you’ll have beautiful strands of trailing leaves! 

1. ZZ Plants

These plants are almost as cute as their name! They have growing stalks of leaves that turn to reach up towards the sun. ZZ plants do well in medium to low light conditions and like the pothos, are known for being easy to care for. All a ZZ plant needs to thrive is a little light and water every month!

Emma Prushan

Jefferson '25

Emma is a junior at Jefferson studying Visual Communication Design/Graphic Design. She serves as Senior Editor, Events Coordinator, and Graphic Designer of HerCampus Jefferson. In her free time, she enjoys reading, doing crafts, playing the guitar, and taking any opportunities to be creative!