Black-Owned Businesses You Should Support This Month and Every Other Month (Philadelphia)!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

You should always be respectful of the people in your environment. February, being Black History month, encourages us to be a little more mindful and supportive of our POC, specifically Black neighbors. This should be a time where you can reflect or educate yourself on some of the civil rights issues that are happening currently or have happened in the past. Another way to support your Black neighbors is to support their businesses! There is a plethora of amazing Black-owned businesses that would greatly benefit from your attention, especially during the pandemic.

Àse Yoga Studio & Tea Room

This yoga studio is owned by Dr. Alston who is a healer, psychologist, yogini, educator, and author. She found her calling after experiencing her own struggle and wanted to turn that energy into something good. Her goal was to create an all-inclusive space for people to heal. Yoga, in her eyes is meant for everyone not just the physically and emotionally fit. People with lower physical agility, chronic illness, and disability are urged to go. She strongly supports the idea that because of our fast-paced society today people forget to take care of themselves emotionally and physically.

You can find a more detailed description of their services on their website: https://www.aseyogastudiotearoom.com/about

BLACQSKIRT. The Design House

This is a boutique owned by Sherri Hall. Her motivation in creating the boutique came after she found it difficult to satisfy her fashion taste within her wardrobe. She found it difficult to find items of clothing that also complemented her body type. She solved the problem by partnering with her mother to design clothing that promotes body positivity and inclusivity.

You can find a more detailed description of their services and products on their website:

https://www.blacqskirt.com/about

Uncle Bobbie’s Coffee & Books

This is a coffee shop that opened in 2017 by one Marc Lamont Hill. This shop was created directly to provide underserved communities with access to books. It is important that everyone who walks in the door at Uncle Bobbie’s feels value regardless of who they are. The shop also makes a point to hold other programs that promote specifically the children in the community.

https://www.unclebobbies.com

These are just 3 businesses that really caught my eye, however, there are hundreds of other black-owned establishments you can show some love this month!

Mari Adamson

Jefferson '24

Mari is a 4th year at Jefferson University, majoring in health sciences and enrolled in the Pre-Physician's Assistant Program with a minor in Law. In her spare time she enjoys hiking and finding new places to eat. She also has a passion for photography and self-care!