This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

On April 14th, Jefferson University’s student chapter of AIGA (The Professional Organization for Designers) brought back their annual Poster Gala for the first time since COVID hit in 2020. Inspired by this, the theme was “Renewal” and students from the university’s Visual Communications Design program were encouraged to submit posters about what renewal means to them. 

The event was held at The Design Center, and I loved being able to see this campus building that I hadn’t before. The event took place in two rooms in The Design Center and we were able to watch the sunset from the beautiful wall of windows. When you entered The Design Center, you were led perfectly towards the event, greeted by a colorful photo booth area and the sounds of laughter and conversation.  While the building is fairly small, it was the perfect size for the event. Each wall in the gallery room was filled with posters and their descriptions, as well as lots of guests,  making it feel like a professional art show. The room showcased over 20 posters submitted by talented Jefferson design students. The poster designs showed a wide range, from posters of mostly type to some of only illustration and more. It was so awesome being able to see all of the ideas my peers in the VCD program had and hear people talk about which works they liked and why. The AIGA Board (including myself) also set up People’s Choice voting so that event guests could share their opinions and some lucky designers received awards! Of course, I can’t forget to mention the delicious appetizers catered by The Couch Tomato in Manayunk that guests could enjoy throughout the event!

The event had a wonderful turn out and all of the guests had a great time at the event, enjoying food, a photo booth, and most importantly, great design! For me, the best part of the event was seeing the success of all of the planning the board has done throughout the year. I am so proud of all of the work we put into it, as well as being so proud of all of the incredible designers who participated! I’m sure that next year’s event will be just as great, so as next spring rolls around, be sure to be on the lookout for the 2024 Poster Gala!

Emma Prushan

Jefferson '25

Emma is a junior at Jefferson studying Visual Communication Design/Graphic Design. She serves as Senior Editor, Events Coordinator, and Graphic Designer of HerCampus Jefferson. In her free time, she enjoys reading, doing crafts, playing the guitar, and taking any opportunities to be creative!