5 Ways to Stay Cool During the Heat Wave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

The new school year at Philadelphia University has had a scorching, tiring, sweaty start, no thanks to the short walks to classes that seem to be miles long in this heat! It looks like Mother Nature is looking to make up for the chilly weather we had in the beginning of the summer. I think we’ve caught the drift, M.N. Most of you readers may be thinking it is entirely impossible to stay cool and refreshed. Au contraire, mes amis! I have come up with 5 hacks to help you and your friends make it through the early Fall.

1. Hand Held Mini Fan

Yes, indeed it is time to bring back the good ol’ hand held mini fan. Let us not forget that some of these hand held fans come with the option of a nice refreshing mist of water. You can find yourself one of these trusty fans at your closest Walmart for just under $9. If you’re looking for the fan with the cooling mist, you can find that at Target or online at Amazon for just under $20. If you don’t start the trend, then no one will!

2. Loose Clothing

Even though we’re only a couple weeks into the fall semester, some of these outfits you might be wearing can be very tight and restrictive. They can trap heat and sweat against your body, and this is a big No-No. Try to aim for a more loose-fitting clothing like a flowy dress or top with a skinny strap. All of these options can be found at either a Target, Old Navy or American Eagle near you.

3. Stay Hydrated

As cliché as it sounds, you always want to stay hydrated. Depending on your age, height, gender and weight, you should drink from 0.5 to 1.5 liter every HOUR. This is one of the smarter hacks that can help you stay cool throughout the day. BONUS: Drinking water also helps with your skin, energy and overall health and well-being. You can find different styles of water bottles at Target, Kohls or Walmart, all under $25. Let’s stay hydrated and help save the planet at the same time!

4. Rock That Pony Tail

Going along with our second hack (loose clothing), deciding to rock an up do can really help you stay cool throughout a hot day. Your hair style can either be a high pony or a messy bun. Do what you can to keep your hair off of your neck, and you will instantly feel better!

5. Treat Yourself!

Last but not least, if the heat is just making you feel all kinds of crazy, treat yourself. Whether it is a nice iced coffee, some Ritas Italian Ice or a couple scoops of delicious ice cream, each of these cool treats can cool down your brain. If you head down Ridge Ave, you can find the Dunkin Donuts in East Falls. Now just turn in the opposite direction and you will find The Custard & Cakes Creamery and Ritas Italian Ice. None of these treats are more than $10.

Male or female, each of these hacks can help you stay cool in this heat wave. Make new fashion statements with the hand held mini fan, loose clothing and the high messy bun. Stop for a bite of ice cream or italian ice and don’t leave your water bottle at home!

I am a sophomore Fashion Merchandising and Management major. Along with contributing to PhilaU's HerCampus, I am a member of Fashion Industries Association and captain of the Philau varsity volleyball team. I love music and I love to dance, & I may have an addiction to Instagram and online shopping. If you don't find me either outside or reading a good book/magazine, you may find me watching TV (too many shows to keep count). My dream is to become a buyer for a large retail company in New York City, & to contribute even a little to a magazine on the side would be the complete package.