5 Things That Happen When You Celebrate Both Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

For most, Winter Break means it’s almost time for Christmas. For some, it means you might make it to the last night of Hanukkah. And for us half Christian, half Jewish kids, it means a little more, a little less, and everything in between. Here are my top 5 things that happen when you celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah. 

1.     Everyone thinks you get double presents, but really, you got socks for Hanukkah.

How many times have we heard the “double presents” myth? So many times! Since Hanukkah takes 8 days, most of those days are things like gift cards, chocolate, and socks. No joke, socks. Plot twist: They’re on my list this year because I keep losing them and my feet are cold. 

2.    You may have rubbed it in your friend’s face that you totally get more presents then they do.

Okay, maybe #1 happens because we like to rub it in your face that we get presents tonight and you don’t. Especially when Hanukkah comes in the beginning of the month. Sometimes it’s even here by Thanksgiving! That’s the best.

3. Sometimes they overlap, which means no Hanukkah gifts on the 25th

The worst. Why even have a separate holiday? Don’t come home from Christmas dinner at 8pm expecting to “light the candles” (code for “give me presents”). Your Mom is tired and having none of it. 

4. Your parents switch Holidays and are very enthusiastic about this new thing they get to do.

One word: Stockings. She cannot get enough; they overfill and require entire shopping bags. It’s like combining all the tiny Hanukkah gifts into one never-ending gift of pure joy. My Catholic Dad on the other hand? He’s really into this whole first night of Hanukkah bit and getting my sister and I matching gifts. That’s a story for another time.

5.  They can try to make Hanukkah cool, but Christmas morning is magic.

Sorry Haunkkah, you’re fun and all, but nothing compares to Christmas morning. I saw a light up Draddle this year, nice try. Try smelling as good as a Christmas tree, and then we’ll talk. Still, it’s not the holidays without both. So break out the Star of David ornaments, it’s Chismukkah.

Wishing a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and wonderful holidays to all our Philau Colligetes!