college packing list
college packing list
Her Campus Media
Life > High School

5 fun clubs to join in High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Sometimes it can be hard to find a club that interests you. It’s especially frustrating when you’re looking for things to fill up your resume. The following clubs are ones that I genuinely enjoyed doing while I was in high school.

1. Multicultural Club

I was in my school’s multicultural club. We would dance at school events or events outside of school and we would teach other students about different cultures. I chose to dance, but I know it’s not required, so you can still join if you don’t like to dance. It was so much fun to partake in aspects of my own culture while also learning about others. That’s the great thing about multicultural clubs. Even if the club is different from your specific culture, it’s still a fun and interesting way to learn more about other cultures around the world.

1. Red Cross Club

Red Cross Club is a great thing to put on your resume. But other than that, it’s also a fun way to get involved with your community. The Red Cross Club at my school had a volunteer opportunity that would occur almost every Sunday. We would package food and supplies for the Jewish community. Through Red Cross, I was also able to receive my CPR certification. This is also an important thing that you could put on your resume. Every year at my school we would have a blood drive and members of the Red Cross Club would volunteer at it. Red Cross Club is a great thing to put on your resume. But other than that, it’s also a fun way to get involved with your community.

1. Orchestra

I was in my school’s Advanced Orchestra in high school. I started playing the violin when I was in 3rd grade, but you’re never too old to start playing an instrument. It’s a lot of fun to work as a group on pieces of music especially listening to the end product. At my school, we had Winter and Spring concerts and we would play for children or at a retirement home especially during the holiday season. I will say that orchestra is a huge time commitment, so you need to make sure that you can be dedicated to it. Not only is playing an instrument a great thing to add to your resume, it builds up a lot of essential skills like creativity or time management.

1. Student Council

Student Council is usually known for being boring, but I actually enjoyed it. We got to be involved in various volunteer activities around school from book fairs to raffles. It’s an easy way to get involved in your school. Another great thing is that if you want something changed in your school or have some fun event ideas, Student Council is a great place to bring it up. Student Council has many leadership opportunities that you can run for. I would recommend running for a position no matter how small it is because it’s great to show that on your resume.

1. Morning Announcements

I did morning announcements in middle school and high school. Morning announcements were done live each morning before classes started. The great thing about this club is that you don’t have to be on-screen as one of the anchors if you don’t want to. There are many other jobs to do from script writing to equipment managing. In middle school, I mostly wrote scripts and anchored, but in high school I switched to control room manager. I thought this club was a relaxing way to start of the school day.  

Riya Roy

Jefferson '24

Hi! I'm Riya, a Senior Pre-Med major at Jefferson! I'm from Northeast Philly and I've lived there my whole life. I enjoy reading, art, baking and binge watching Netflix! This year, I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Jefferson and I'm so excited!! Hope you enjoy my articles :)